Java Moss On DriftWood Piece... HOW? - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By Drakken

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-06-2004, 03:28 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
I want my java moss to grow on a piece of driftwood but Im quite unsure on the whole process, this is what I know thus far

1. Place the java moss on the wood
2. Tie the string around the wood and java moss (tughtly)
3. ????

Then when can I take the string off after how long and will the roots go in the wood or do I need to drill a whole in the wood?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-06-2004, 03:40 AM

If you use black fishing line you will not have to remove the line, just leave it on the wood. Once you tie the moss down, put it in the tank and let it go.

Paul
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-06-2004, 03:45 AM Thread Starter

I have kind of thick rope currently and rubber bands any of that ok to work? or can it be thin sowing thread?

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-06-2004, 04:33 AM

sewing thread is fine, it will eventually rot and by that time the moss should have taken root
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-06-2004, 05:01 AM
2la

Black sewing thread is my preferred method. Wrap it many, many times around the driftwood and don't worry about it suffocating the plant. Java moss is virtually bulletproof, and the thread rots away in a few weeks.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-06-2004, 05:02 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to ming Send a message via MSN to ming
i would say takes anywhere from 2 weeks to a month to stick onto the wood, and I wouldn't suggest to have the bunch of moss too thick on the wood, only so much will attach at one time because they need direct contact

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Taken down

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Taken down
10G, 2x10W PC Walmart Screw-ins Cherry Shrimp Tank
29G, 2x65W PC Coralife, Flourite Taken down

Taken down

75G, 2x54W T5, 90lbs Flourite

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-06-2004, 06:35 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I second what Ming said. I put mine on too thick and the bottom stuff was rotting and algae started growing on it so I had to take it all off. Thinner is better.

Tony
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-07-2004, 01:41 AM
Wannabe Guru

I used cotton twin on mine it just rots away eventually. I spread the moss out onto the driftwood & then tied it semi-loosely once around. That is all it takes. Java moss is somewhat slow to get started but once it does it will take off. I trim mine with a pair of scissors to the desired height/shape wanted.

He who angers you, controls you!
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-07-2004, 01:40 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
I definitely keep the moss fairly thin on the wood to give the lower strands a better shot at growing, and grabbing on to the wood. spread it as thin as you can - it will thicken up in no time. Tula is definitely right in that it is bulletproof and will survive being layered thickly (unlike glosso), but it will grab quicker if the underlying strands are more exposed to light and nutrients.

- Sam P -

Low Tech Planted Nanos with Bettas
Former Tank Journals:

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-07-2004, 09:12 PM

Just a thought...

In reef aquariums it is common to use super glue to attach corals. Would super glue work for Java Fern as long as you don't glue the roots??
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-08-2004, 01:12 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
That might work. If you just glued the ryhyzome section on a Java Fern plant, it might work just fine. Try it and let us know!

- Sam P -

Low Tech Planted Nanos with Bettas
Former Tank Journals:

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-08-2004, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GulfCoastAquarian
That might work. If you just glued the ryhyzome section on a Java Fern plant, it might work just fine. Try it and let us know!
I will try it once my current java moss grows a bit more.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-08-2004, 05:14 PM

using super glue in reef tanks is used mostly to glue stoney coral to rock, or to glue rock to rock, when attaching soft type corals I would use ruberbands, now I dont know if I would try it on a plant it might irritate the skin and start to rot, but if you do let us know it would be a great bit of info to have
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-08-2004, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanspectrum
I dont know if I would try it on a plant it might irritate the skin and start to rot, but if you do let us know it would be a great bit of info to have
I'll give it a try. What part is the ryhyzome anyway? ops: :?:
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-08-2004, 06:04 PM

on a java fern I would glue it on the thick part above the roots; try to avoid glueing the roots as Im sure this will kill that part of the plant. asfor jave moss im not really sure I would try a drop of glue on the wood or rock then try to place some of the moss in the glue and hope the rest would just attach, also you dont need to wait for the glue to cure, as the water will take care of that for you.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode