Tank cycled in a week?! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-18-2014, 04:59 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Tank cycled in a week?!

I have a 90 gallon that I set up a little over a week ago.

I had the inards of a cannister filter sitting in a 10 gallon to preserve the bacteria, however i neglected to get it any ammonia for sometimes upward of a week.

I then set up a 90 gallon (no media from other tanks), added about 8ppm at first, then within 5 days the ammonia was GONE! all 8ppm! I then checked for nitrites and had a small amount. Now for a nitrate test...

I had about 130ppm!!!! in about a couple of days

I just dont understand how this is possible.
I know my test kit works because i used to to test water in a ten gallon tank and they seem to be accurate. mind you its the API master test kid (liquid kind)

geuss its time for a water change and fish.... i was hoping to build up some money before it stocked my tank :P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-18-2014, 11:48 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
First,8 ppm ammonia is twice what is suggested for inital dose and fishless cycling.
Second, nitrification don't work that fast with or without seed material to render ammonia at that level to zero and nitrite reading would be high for a few days at least.
I think you are wise to be suspect of test results or person performing the tests.
Of all the tests that our hobbyist grade test kit's allow us to perform,the nitrate test results are the most unreliable.
About as reliable in my view as the numerous bacteria in a bottle products that promise to cycle the tank immediately.
My two cents.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode