I'm about to give up, sigh. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-17-2014, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I'm about to give up, sigh.

So there is algae all over my 13 gallon tank and green water. Yes I'm changing 9 gallons out of 13 every other day and adding Excel in ridiculous doses for the BHA and green hair algae. I skipped 4 days between water changes and BAMM it was back. There's a ridiculous amount of anacharis in there too to soak up nutrients which is not working. The fish don't seem to mind at all. I think the neons are considering breeding but it's driving me crazy. Only my lightly planted 10g with a gourami and white clouds is doing perfectly. I've had 2 terrible fails with my 7 gallon tank and shrimp. It's a Fluval Flora kit tank. It has a molded background that looks "weathered" like some of the paint leeched off and it's planted with a moss wall. For some unknown reason half the shrimp died. I bought more, hey shrimp just die sometimes.Then I had an outbreak of some kind of white worm looking thing which I thought was planaria. I think it came in on some almond leaves I didn't boil long enough. I dosed the tank twice with fish bendzole and they are still there. They swarmed the tank and all the shrimp died. So now it's home to my betta who seems to have eaten some of them. I do not allow dirty tanks and do regular water changes at least once a week and many weeks twice, more now since I've had so much trouble the last 3 weeks. My tanks are heavily planted and nitrate lvls can get a bit high but not dangerous lvls. My tap water is about 7.4 ph and 7 or 8 gh/kh. TDS is high at around 450. I'm thinking of cutting it with distilled to drop the TDS, but attempts at just using distilled may be some of my problem. The salty shrimp gh/kh just gives around 3gh/kh and 8 ph. I've tried Replenish too with similar results. That's just not enough to stabilize ph. It's perfect for Crystals but NOT Red Cherries. Any way I want to give the shrimp one more try in a brand new 10 gallon. I really want an under gravel filter. 1) because the trick with the pantyhose is just a pain as it slows the flow rate too much and 2) there just aren't any "shrimp safe" ones. I thought about sponge filters but under-gravel just seemed as good or better. I'd like shrimp stratum but that's just too expensive for a 10 so I need something else not sand. Eco-complete is what I usually use but I'm wary about over planting I don't think this should be heavily planted maybe moss balls but I'm at a loss on how to safely aquascape and keep it natural. I hate pirate bubblers. I have plenty of fluval bio-max in my other tanks to cycle the 10 but I worry about the outbreak of algae (and those weird fenbendazole resistant worm things) and if that will transfer to the new tank. Any thoughts on how to deal with the green and black hair algae, the white worm thingys( I really don't think it's planaria) or how to set up the new tank would be GREATLY appreciated. Otherwise I'm just going to get rid of the plants and everything and just get a ceramic Budda. (Said with heavy sarcasm)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-17-2014, 09:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
If you can move your shrimp to another tank temporarily, the one-two punch might help.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=203684

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

---------------------------------

|
|
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-17-2014, 09:50 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I just used the one two punch on my 20g a few days ago. I had a bad infestation of staghorn and BBA with a bit of BGA as well. The treat totally slayed the BGA and staghorn. It's all bright red. The bba is dying as well. After the treatment my water was cloudy for 2 days while the bacterial load recolonized, but is clearing up now.

The source of my problems was a sponge in my aquaclear 70 filter. It was PACKED with organic matter. I cleaned that too and things are doing well.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-17-2014, 10:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
The most common cause of algae is just too much light. Either too high a level of or on for too long or a combination of them.
In the "one-two punch" thread it says "to be used as a last resort".
Algae is a symptom...treating ONLY the symptom can cause it to just come right back.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-18-2014, 12:58 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The shrimp are all dead, the white wormy things got them. I really don't think they were planaria or hydro. They were totally unaffected by the fenbendazole treatments. These are tiny too not as big as a pin head just specs on the glass but I did find them swarming over dead shrimp. I thought about drying out the tank to kill them but they don't seem to bother the beta any. But absolutely NO more catappa logs or leaves for me EVER. The tank with all the algae has neons a beta, a clown loach and an oto,( are they affected by this 1 2 punch?) It's packed with vals, dwarf sag, crypts and telanthera. I've been over dosing with excel for awhile and the vals so far have done fine. I'm getting timers for my lights too, I'm getting old and forgetful. So just hydrogen peroxide and then excel hmm i'll try that..... What about the new 10g for my last shrimp experiment. Any thoughts on how to set it up? I've only got 1 more failure in me and I REALLY love the shrimp.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-18-2014, 04:40 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Use the new tank as a hospital tank to temporarily house the shrimp and sensitive critters (Oto, loach) and then try the one-two punch?

|
|

---------------------------------

|
|
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-18-2014, 10:06 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (20/100%)
I would not recommend the excel and h202 treatment until you have a better understanding of the cause of your algae, as Raymond S. recommended above. You are just now getting your lights on timers? That should be a big warning flag right there. Without a proper understanding of root cause of algae, or even the basics of a planted tank even (timers are absolutely 100% necessary), I foresee the one-two-punch not ending well.

Your algae issues and shrimp issues are two separate issues. I would work on addressing them individually in the Algae and Inverts sub-forums.

Regarding the shrimp, I doubt the "white worms" were the cause of your shrimp deaths. They sound like harmless flatworms to me. It is more likely something to do with your water parameters and stability in the tank. Your parameters do not look right to me. 450 tds is way too high. Salty shrimp, used properly, should be giving you gh around 6 . Many, if not most, shrimp keepers on this forum use ro water with salty shrimp and have great results.

It is difficult to address everything you have going on here. Again, I would recommend separating your two issues out and addressing each in the appropriate sub-forums in order to get on the right track.

;
;

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode