Indian Red Sword? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-06-2004, 01:08 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
There's a beautiful burgundy/ green sword at my lfs that they're calling an "Indian Red" sword. What's the real name? And is $20 too much for one?
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-06-2004, 03:37 AM

Could be an Osiris sword, has green outer leaves and the new leaves are red. Would need a shot of it to determine what the plant is. Go to the LFS and take a digital shot of it if you can.

Paul
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-06-2004, 04:42 AM

"Indian Red" is a new echinodorus cultivar with red leaves with short petiolates. My memory is slowly fading of it, but it is a short/medium sized sword. What will distinguish it from other red-leaf swords is that the leaves are slightly undulate. It looks a lot like xbarthi.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-06-2004, 10:03 PM Thread Starter

I did a little search AFTER posting the question. It really does look like the one called "horemani". So, is $20 too much to pay for one? (Please don't say "not if you REALLY want it...") It's medium-sized, not huge.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-07-2004, 12:53 AM

Well only if you REALLY want....

$20 is not that bad for a new cultivar but it is still a bit pricey. For comparison, I am able to get it at one store for $12.00CAD. If you cannot tell the difference between swords, xbarthi or other red swords may fit you at a cheaper price. Horemani red(unless it is synonym!) has narrower leaves.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-08-2004, 09:49 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)
Actually it's not new. It's been around since 1998. It was developed by a nursery in Europe called Hans Barth, and is a hybrid between E. aschersonianus and horemanii red. Echinodorus indian red is the recognized name. Under strong light the leaves become a dark bronze red, (hence the name) and under weak light more green. The submersed leaves tend to be very thin and tear easily.

A few years back it was brought into this country by Florida Aquatic Nurseries and sold to the retail trade by them. They have since dropped it from their line and it is now only available from stores who import themselves from Singapore. This is why it is now a very expensive plant in the USA when you can find it.

Robert Paul Hudson

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Kindness like love is unconditional
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-08-2004, 08:00 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, Robert! So, if I like the look of the plant (being a pretty burgundy-red color), but don't want to pay the $$$ or have delicate leaves, which other sword might work for me?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode