Auquascaping Substrate Question - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Auquascaping Substrate Question

I have scored everything I need to start my low tech 75 gallon tank. I have 12 bags of flourite and I want to slope from the front of the aquarium to the back (about halfway up the back glass). Im not sure I have enough flourite to do it. I do however have alot of regular gravel I could use. I was wondering if I could lay down the regular gravel on the bottom then after I have it scaped like I want I can add the flourite over the top? How deep would I need to make my flourite layer to ensure the plants will do well? If I have the gravel in the back around 8 to 10 inches will I need to worry about dead spots in the gravel? Any help would be appreciated !

Thanks Guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 04:32 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Opinions will vary, but I think your intended substrate depth is way too deep.

3-5 inches would be more than adequate. six inches at the back if you want to do some terracing, etc.

Flourite is a good substrate, I would not mix it with other gravel.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 04:38 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (208/100%)
You could put gravel on the bottom, but they'll mix a bit and you'll 'corrupt' your flourite with gravel making it less desirable for future uses. I'd suggest putting a bunch of rocks in the back to take up the volume you need - these won't mix with the flourite.

There is no such thing as too deep of substrate - it's all about getting the look you want - that could be very striking if done well.

You may want to get malasian trumpet snails to work the substrate to preventthe dead spots.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-24-2008, 02:04 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Isn't a 75gal 18" tall? I agree with Mac- use large rocks or wood or something to achieve that effect; I don't think Fluorite will hold that shape on its own. If you want that dramatic a slope I personally would try to find some way to make a terrace.

Mix Fluorite with whatever you like- as long as you like the look once they mix together. I have my Fluorite black mixed with black gravel and black Colorquartz in my 90gal tank and IMO it worked well. Keep in mind that whatever has the largest grain will rise to the surface over time. I would make sure that the mixture is at least 50% Fluorite, however.

Also, substrate deeper than 2-3" is prone to develop anaerobic spots- something else to keep in mind if you go to do any rescaping down the road after they've had time to develop.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode