how do you deal with power cords?? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
how do you deal with power cords??

hi all,

this is probably a dumb question but...

I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for power-cord management. i've currently got 6 tanks (i know, i know) running in my room (two are being consolidated into a 20L, one is a QT) and I'm tripping over cords/extension cords everywhere. (i'm limited by the surfaces i can put tanks on).

besides duct taping the cords to my carpet (ew), does anyone have any suggestions/ how do you deal with your ten million power cords everywhere??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014, 05:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
assuming you live with your parents? ask them if it would be feasible to add additional outlets in the walls. what you've got now is a fire hazard; more outlets would be safer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014, 05:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
In terms of pure cord management, you can "neaten things up" by rolling up the excess cord on each item and tying it up with a twist tie. It should end up resembling a bow tie. If these are mostly smaller tanks, you'll see a significant decrease in the number of cords if you continue consolidating into slightly larger tanks as you've started to do. In the end it will also make maintenance easier to keep up with as well.

Angelo

"Why can't my wife see all of this stuff as an investment?"

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014, 05:51 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Labelling power cords near the plug end is also helpful- "heater" "filter" etc.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014, 06:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

If you have some electronics stores closeby, they will have a variety of cord management items which might help. One of my favorites for being cheap as well as easy to custom fit is a plastic spiral wrap which can be cut to any length and then wrapped around several cords to tie them into a thick portion which will make it stay where you like.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014, 06:29 PM
Banned

Look on ebay for power strips, they're super inexpensive and they have the added bonus of a built in breaker to cut power if something shorts out.

Not as good as GFI but better than nothing
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014, 07:04 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
You need to grab the following. Tags to label the cords-2 bucks Cord concealer- about 6 bucks for 6 foot. (amazon) Great for carpets, no difference between the expensive ones and cheap ones. Tie zip cords- 2 bucks for 100. Get the Velcro if you plan to undo and redo it. About 7 bucks for 100. You can run down to the local store, get a visa/mastercard for 10 bucks and buy them off amazon. Tag each cord. Create your drip loop use the zip ties to lock them together. The cords running across the floor should be covered with a pvc cord concealer.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014, 07:53 PM
Banned

Hehehe Good job Darkfinder, I don't even need that stuff but I'm thinking about buying some

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode