question about dosing kno3 vs normal fish waste and nitrate readings - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
question about dosing kno3 vs normal fish waste and nitrate readings

OK so I need some clarification. If I dose 1/4 tsp kno3 in my 75g I get roughly 2.21k and 3.51no3

Assuming I never dosed kno3 and rely on fish waste for nitrates do I fully lose all potassium?

My tank with regular feeding can hold around 20ppm nitrates without having to dose.

75 Gallon Low Tech w/ Green Terror Pair
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014, 01:02 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
My tank sits around 30ppm nitrates w/o dosing as I've discovered. I dose potassium per normal EI doses for my tank as a result to make sure I'm getting the right amount. I don't believe having excess K will be harmful, someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

I figure better safe than sorry. You can not dose K and play the waiting game to see if plants show any deficiency though.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014, 01:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Simply add both KNO3 and KH2PO4 or K2SO4 and potassium is covered with either.
I understand the reasoning behind wanting the fish,fish waste to make up lions share of nutrient's via el natural ,but this may not be doable as plant mass get's larger.
Different plants may very well have differing rates of uptake as well.
I also understand the fear of dosing inorganic salts by some for I was one of them in the beginning.
Learned fairly quickly that by giving plants a little of everything,that I spent less time trying to figure out this measurement or that ,or wondering as mentioned that as plant mass increased, do/would I need more?
I was also relieved to discover that the dry fertilzers I was adding had zero affect on fishes,shrimp and that algae became less and less of a problem.
If you are considering going with pressurized CO2 at some point ,then plants will demand much more than fish food and fish waste can provide .
Don't make things tougher than they need to be.
Put away test kit,add maybe 1/3 or 1/4 EI once a week or two for low tech and get on with growing plants and watching fishes.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Only reason I don't want to dose ei is because I already have a good amount of nitrates due to fish poop and don't want huge nitrate levels from.dosing kno3

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014, 02:05 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
As I understand it the pure KNO3 from fertilizer is a much less complex molecule then that from fish waste. They both register as NO3 on the test chart, but the fertilizer is much less toxic than the nitrates from fish waste. I've heard that people have had up to 160ppm NO3 from dosing with no stress on the fish.

If someone has any evidence to the contrary feel free to prove me wrong, but as far as I am aware you don't have to worry about high nitrates from dosing.

Alternatively just dose K2SO4 instead of KNO3 to provide your K. That's what I do. I only dose KNO3 once a week, but dose K2SO4 and KH2PO4 3 times a week and I still get a pretty consistent 20ppm nitrate reading on the test kit, and no K deficiencies.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014, 02:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Nitrates ain't the boogey man in planted tank but rather how they get there that is.
Nitrates as end result of ammonia,nitrite,oxidation from fish food,fish poo, is far more stressful than Dry mineral salt KNO3 which does not go through the nitrification process.
If at water change day you have at least 20 ppm Nitrates,then you could simply add some K2SO4 and a pinch of KH2PO4 along with your trace minerals and be good.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

cool thanks for the info. I was under the impression it was all the same toxicity. I guess i was wrong.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode