Not sure what this pest is - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
Not sure what this pest is

Went to do a water change in our 20g last night and noticed something that looked like a white worm on the front of the glass. Looking around, I noticed a few more. It's about 1/4 inch long... hard to tell if it's round or flat. Thought at first maybe it was just a plant root particle or something that had found it's way up and stuck to the glass. I've also noticed white fuzzy spots clinging to the glass, but also now on some plants, mainly the tenellus and HM. I've seen these before but thought maybe it could be some kind of yeast residue, but I've also seen these fuzzy spots in our 125 where we don't use DIY co2.

I haven't been able to clean the substrate well in the 20 because of all the plants so last night I pulled up quite a bit of plants to try and get the bottom cleaned. Whatever the wormy things were disappeared for a bit, but now I see a couple again on the glass and more of the fuzz spots.

I did some searching and thought maybe they could be planaria or nematodes.... the wormy things anyway. It's hard to see if there are any on the substrate because we have pool filter sand and it's white. I don't have a macro lens for the camera so I can't get a picture. I wouldn't think it would be from overfeeding because we only feed the fish in there once a day, and only a little bit of food.

Is there anyway other than w/c's to get rid of this stuff? I have amanos in there so don't really want to use Quick Cure... I suppose I could remove them if I had to though, but would rather not go that route. Is there anything that will get rid of this stuff without hurting the shrimp or fish, or any ideas of what it could be? Is it harmful to the fish and plants, or just a pain in the a**?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 11:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (62/100%)
Send a message via AIM to eyebeatbadgers
This link may help. More than likely, whatever it is won't harm your fish, leave them alone, reduce feeding, increase cleaning with vacuum and water changes, and they'll probably go away.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 11:38 PM
Gar

PTrader: (6/100%)
Likely planaria. As eyebeat said, cut down on feeding and increase how often you do water changes and they'll eventually go away. That and some fish enjoy eating live planaria.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 04:26 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Eyebeat, These worms are in my orchidarium, where there aren't any fish, no substrate at all. There are only orchids, rocks, some cork bark, and some ceramic pots . The only thing the 2 tanks have in common is that both are probably getting too much light. The worms seem to be attracted to it. The things are likely there all day long, but I noticed them just tonight. I conjecture that peat moss and stones from the garden, not clean enough, may both contain the flatworms.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode