Running out of nitrate. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Running out of nitrate.

Hi all.
I signed up to ask a question.
My 50L planted tank is getting to the point where the plant mass is consuming more nitrate than the fish can produce and I can't decide what I want to do.
So in your opinion should I
A) Add a couple more fish?
B) Feed the current fish more?
C) Start dosing nitrogen?

I'm currently dosing potassium, tiny bit of phosphorus, flourish(mirco/trace) and excel(Carbon).
With 11w overhead, 5w on the side and 8w from the front.

The tank has aprox 75% of the area covered by plants, I keep a corner free to make feeding the fish easy. It is stocked with 10 tetras, 2 mollies, ~6 guppies and all the fry/babies that come with having live breeders.

I feed the fish once in the morning with about a pea sized scoop of crushed flakes and tropical food. The rest of the day they snack on pond snails/eggs, leaf litter and duckweed. (On a side note I have had snails in there for about 6 months but have never seen more than 12 adults, never seen any small ones and in my shrimp tank they never get to adult size. If anyone knows how to breed them big and healthy my loaches will be happy.)

Thanks Queeg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014, 11:09 AM
Planted Tank Guru

sounds like you should dose kno3 and call it a day

75 Gallon Low Tech w/ Green Terror Pair
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014, 11:20 AM Thread Starter

Lol I'm in AU it would be near impossible to get my hands on potassium nitrate :P We aren't allowed anything that can be used to have fun.

But I do have the flurish nitrogen that I was using before I added fish.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014, 02:48 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (194/100%)
For a small tank like this, Flourish N should be a good option. I would not add fish or feed more to increase nitrate levels, since that will lead to water quality issues. I'd try to find a (relatively) local club or forum and ask about the possibilities there. I thought I had seen this question before and there were sources which provided KNO3. I could be wrong.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-17-2014, 05:50 AM Thread Starter

Cheers for the input.
I'll will add Flourish N to my dosing. With this tank a bottle lasts forever so it's not worth trying to find a dry fert.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode