The Doh!! moment - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-15-2014, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
The Doh!! moment

Came downstairs this morning to my 125 tank looking very cloudy and the fish looking stressed. I did a water-change yesterday and it was a large one as the next time I can do one will be in mid-July. I like to keep my water levels close to the tap. Generally a 30-50% change per week when I'm around. I also did the shake, shake, shake... oh @#$% with the food after the water change. Normally the snails and pleco's take care of this but there was still food on the bottom today.

I looked into it an realized.... I forgot to plug back in my filters .

So another larger water change today and I plugged back in the filters. Now it's all ready for me to take another 2 week business trip across Europe.

So what was your last Doh! moment?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-15-2014, 09:30 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)
My latest DOH moment was putting 84 degree water in a 74 degree aquarium. Keeping your WC water in the garage when it's 90 makes it hot. Luckily I caught it quick and cooled it down with ice packs and only lost 2 shrimp out of 50+ and no fish. I'm just glad it wasn't my reef I would have made my corals very unhappy.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014, 02:46 PM
Planted Member

I had one this morning. Just finished setting up a new tank late last night. My lighting schedule is slightly off (ok more like off by a lot) between the ramp timer and my timed power strip I somehow managed to get them both way out of sync but that was not the biggest problem. My daughter came in early this morning and said "Daddy your new tank is making a lot of big bubbles..." Yikes. My first thought was a leak but I came running out to find the filter belching huge bubbles? I check and there are no obvious leaks and the water level is fine. I check my CO2 bubble counter and... it is empty. Last night I plugged in the CO2 reg into one of the timer slots and meant to dial it in but never did. I think I lost about a quarter of a 10lb bottle. On the bright side the plants were pearling nicely and there was no fauna in there to kill.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014, 03:21 PM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (126/100%)
Had one two nights ago matter of fact, during a small routine water change on my 75.

I use a 5 gallon bucket and gravel-vac type siphon hose. When the bucket fills up, I put the small end of the hose back in the tank so I dont have to re-start the siphon each time. Usually there's a section of hose still hanging out of the tank, like one curl of the middle part (if that makes any sense). Anyway long story short, the hose flopped out while I was gone to empty the bucket, and probably 2-3 gallons of tank water siphoned out on the hardwood floor.

I should probably be glad it wasnt on a rug or carpet where it could sour. Them hardwood floors though, yikes.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014, 03:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Sitting on the couch a few weeks ago talking to my brother while tank was filling.
All of a sudden I leaped from the couch to the spigot in kitchen as water crested in the aquarium and began to flood the living room.
Luckily ,only about five gallons run over before I shut off the tap.
My brother freaked when I jumped up and ran for the kitchen and claimed it is as fast as he has ever seen me move.(pretty quick for 57 yrs young).
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Worthy DOH!! Moments all of them. Great reading while drinking coffee.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014, 04:19 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
@work realizing that a few of the sumps were running loudly was because they were operating at half-capacity due to the auto-refill sensors malfunctioning,,, because the intake was completely clogged with snails,,, realized after about two days and only because of a big leak, oops.

got distracted by a customer & left siphon on, accidentally flooded entire dept + reptiles w/ 2 inches of water,,,

wondering why the koi/goldies in the show tank seemed stressed after refilling the tank with purified water from the tap....... didn't notice it until the water was coming in cloudy... the water was coming out at about 86F due to the fact that the pipes ran across the roof. thankfully i figured out how to shut the hot line off from the janitor's closet & didnt lose anyone......

distric manager paid us a visit. i forgot to close the lid on the red-eye tetra tank. also managed to flood dept (again) with water. all three of us were standing in the puddle... my supervisor was talking with the DM (literally two feet away from me) when the red-eye tetras started leaping from the tank & i had to discreetly pick them up & plop them back in

Last edited by henrietta; 06-16-2014 at 04:27 PM. Reason: spelling
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2014, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

How does one discretely pick up fish while standing in a puddle?
With all the floods do you go to work with a boat now?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2014, 09:07 PM
Algae Grower

Mine came on the first water change with my new sump. Before the sump I had two canister filters so I took all of the media out of one canister and used it to help seed the sump then left the second canister filter running. Originally I had set the canister to filter the sump water but for some reason I kept getting air in to the intake line. So for a quick fix I just moved the intake up in to the main tank....

This worked great until I turned the sump pump off for the water change. Luckily I happened to look down right before the sump started over flowing and was able to get the pump turned back on with minimal spillage.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2014, 09:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE V View Post
How does one discretely pick up fish while standing in a puddle?
With all the floods do you go to work with a boat now?
HAH

My biggest DOH was a few weeks ago.. I have a 55g with an aquaponics sytem above it... Simply put its pvs piping with holes and planters pots (with plants) that water from the cansiter outflow runs through to go back into the tank (great way to grow veggies, herbs and reduce nitrates a bit). ANYWAYS i have a [censor] sunsun with uv sterilizer.. oh good somethign to kill green water, nice add on right? Wrong: open chamber for the light to work allows mulm to get out of the canister.. mulm build up on terrestrial plant roots will suffocate and kill them (you're not going to eat the plant roots, leaves/stems are completely safe to eat)... So I put a piece of filter foam in the pvc pip before the first planter pot to catch what poo before it gets to plants. Didn't have to cut the foam, fit perfectly in there!
Well when the foam gets full of mulm flow is reduced.. when its completely clogged with mulm there's no flow to water rises on canister side of pip until it pushes the foam onto its side/diagonal/tilt against the pot and shoots water out the opening/pot (between inert clay media) since the clog foam won't let water go by/under/around said pot....
Get to be woken up early Sunday morning and come downstairs to the room where tank is.. nearly 50 gallons missing form tank and Leopard Sailfin Pleco and Madagascar rainbow fish hanging out in the under 3" of water left in tank (below intake filter level). Said missing 50 roughly gallons on carpet and wood cabinet. Got to rapidly refill tank... not fun.. I'm a petite gal, 5 gallon buckets hauling (x10) from sink to step stool and pouring into tank before 10am is NOT my ideal weekend. After giving them water again got to remove foam from pvc pipe and the oh-so-not-fun task of restarting sunsun (its primer is very slippery with wet hands and I've just about broken a fingers sliding off it and smashing into a wall, its also a very stiff spring so i have to put all my weight on it). THEN I got to spend all day (and a good portion of the next several days-week) getting all the water out of the carpet. Fortunately we have hoover wet vacuums and a shop vac that can be used as a 'wet vac'. My back and arms were killing me, and I had a perpetual headache from the loud hum of the equipment used to clean. I found Tylex mold and mildew mixed with hot tap water got the funk out of the carpet and kept mold from taking hold without bleaching the carpet... but yeh.. that was not fun.
Only plus side: this was the basement so no lower floors to be damaged. and the fish survived.. but still... ugh.
Now I need a new or at least second canister to hook the aquaponics system to that will properly filter out crap (thinking Ehiem). The first 4 planter pots in my 6 pot system are not doing well because of the mulm, but the last two have kick ass lettuce that was actually used to make taco nachos this past weekend.

tldr: 50 gal flood onto carpet, week of hard cleaning

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.
Starting to update these threads

~
~
~
~
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2014, 09:33 PM
Planted Member

First time cleaning my rena filstar I managed to misalign the seal and had a slow leak. All looked good at 9 when I went to bed... but the next morning 15 gallons had seeped out into the carpet. Lots of shop vac time...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode