Glass cleaner - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-15-2014, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Glass cleaner

Hi all, back again...

This time I've got a question for the general forum and for everyone as a whole. I am trying to find a good glass cleaner and I'm not talking Windex or something like that. I want to know what you guys use, besides a razor blade and your hand to clean glass AKA what fish/invert do you use to clean the glass for you.

Now my tank doesn't have much algae on the glass and if it does, it rubs off with my finger but im trying to get to the point where I can completely admire my tank and not have to clean or scrub the glass every week.

The algae on the glass is right by the substrate and I am guessing where the flow isn't so good in my tank. It mostly accrues near the substrate, or right above the substrate and like I said it is very soft algae.

My stocking list:
11 lambchop rasboras
1 true SAE
1 mickey mouse platy (girlfriends fish, so we cant kill it. . . .oh, darn)
A mixture of pond/bladder snails (these don't seem interested in the glass algae just the stuff on the plants)

My tank:
10 gallon standard
Planted plus lighting about 4 inches from the top rim
dirted (MGOPM) with eco complete cap
Sieryu Stone as hardscape
Generic 100w heater

Dosing:
I dose 1 capful of generic excel (glut-blahblah) every other day
Monday and Tuesday when I remember I dose macro then micro in that order.

Plants:
1 Red Tiger Lotus
1 banana plant
2 swords
2 crypts
carpet-ish of dwarf sag
a few stems of star grass
random floaters

Below is a pic of the setup to help visualize

Anyone may give input I don't care if your a complete beginner or a master I would like to get everyone's view point on this whether it be getting a fish/invert to solve this or changing my dosing up a little.

Lets hear what the forum has to say!

Thanks guys

~Kyle

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by TECKSPEED; 06-24-2014 at 04:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-15-2014, 04:43 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Tiger or zebra nerites!! One or two too large to clean the plants leaves. They keep my tanks spotless and love diatoms, even GSA.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-15-2014, 05:04 PM
Planted Member

I have 2 apple snails and about 5 otos (and a Stiphodon goby who may or may not eat algae) in my 55, and there isn't speck of algae anywhere on the glass. With the amount of plants you have, I would try an oto or nerites before a larger apple snail. Mine have a tendency to knock plants around simply because they are so large.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-15-2014, 05:32 PM
Banned

PTrader: (2/100%)
Your tank is so clean now that I thought you were starting your plants dry, then I noticed the fish hanging in the air.................
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-15-2014, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I know my tank is pretty clean but I hate the algae I have on the glass it drives me nuts. I thought the sae would eat it but he doesn't lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-15-2014, 10:30 PM
Algae Grower

my tiger nerite preferred to clean the glass while my ramshorns preferred to work on the leaves

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-15-2014, 11:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
my nerites do most of the glass cleaning for me.... my saes mostly clean leaves, and my otos love to eat rock algae.

Will

on Facebook.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014, 03:36 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'll have to look into nerites do any of you guys know where I can get some or if anyone has any for sale in the sub forum?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014, 04:02 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Another vote for the nerites.

I've got 2 in a 10gallon (with lots of other snails) that keep the glass completely clean. I had some pretty significant algae on the glass before I got them. The other snails would occasionally graze on it, but wouldn't remove it. The nerites completely cleaned it up soon after introduction, and have kept it that way since.

No idea where to get them, I'd just ask around at the local shops, I see them at quite a few shops around here (just not always in stock at any given time)
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014, 06:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
i see them on aquabid and ebay once in a while. but a LFS is your bets bet.

Will

on Facebook.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014, 07:26 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
Otos will eat everything but Green Dot Algae. Nerites will take care of that.

I have slain all of the Dragons! You owe me!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode