Any Awesome TALL Aquascapes? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (208/100%)
Any Awesome TALL Aquascapes?

I have several standard dimension tanks and have been thinking about getting something really different for my next tank.
I saw a very interesting tank today.
It is a 47g tank, 31" high, 20" long, and 18" deep.
I'd go with an XP3, 3xAHS 36w kits.
Black flourite or plain old sand with a heavy slope to it.
The hardscape would make or break it - I was thinking tall branchy manzanita driftwood.
Plants: No stem plants, just lots of dark greens and browns to emphasize depth. Probably just Crypt balansae, spiralis, and various wendtiis, taiwan and fissidens mosses, and narrow leaf & windelov java fern (and trident if I can get my hands on some), and e. tennellus 'micro'.
Stocking: I'm thinking either white cloud minnows or a microboraras sp. would fit this theme perfectly. 20-30x, depending on which I decide on.
Obligatory 5x otto. I'll toss in a handful of minami shrimp to 'seed' the shrimp. I'm open to suggestions for a "showpiece" fish. I'm thinking no cichlids, which will be a first for me. A few Threadfin Killies or Scarlet Badis would be cool.

Does anyone have any pics, or links to other's pics of outstanding TALL planted tanks?

Last edited by macclellan; 05-22-2008 at 05:20 AM. Reason: updated stocking ideas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 09:44 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Cool thread. I have a 15 tall that I have been trying to scape for years and it always turns out like crap.
post #3 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

By TALL, I mean height>length. By that definition, 10H, 20H, or 90H are not tall tanks. They're more squarish.

post #4 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 10:09 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Have to keep my eye on this one too, I am new to planted tanks and while I'm not trying very high tech, I am working with a 20x10x20 inch tank.
post #5 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 10:47 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Send a message via AIM to FrostyNYC
I think you're right on the money with your plant selection. The lighting is the trickiest thing with a tank like that. Good choices.
post #6 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 11:40 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (10/100%)
I've got my first planted tank, its a 20g hex, i believe its 24" tall and the hex is 15" across at any give side.

Its currently settling back down from a 1 hr road trip home from college, but once I get it back in shape ill throw some pictures up in this thread.
post #7 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 11:45 PM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Im not so sure you will like the results with 36 watters. The crypts and ferns should be fine but that is a lot of depth for the mosses if you plan on it growing down low in the tank, especially the fissidens.
Pendant MH's are the lighting of choice for deep tanks just due to the high wattage vs the physical size of the fixture. Lets face it, a 96w aint fitting over that tank nicely. Throw out the wpg assumption on this tank...

I cant find the link but i saw a similar dimensioned tank that had a massive, quarter cut stump about 10" wide that filled a rear corner and ran from the top to the bottom and looked awesome. (it also hid the equiptment) It looked like it was growing out of the corner of the tank.
A large bolbitus hid the stump base, wendtii crypts filled the mid ground and balansae's filled the entire back wall. It was one of the most natural looking tanks Ive seen in my opinion. I always wanted to try and mock that look but alas ...

Man now i gotta try and find that link, it was an awesome look.

Lighting is key though, under power it and the plants will be stringy looking.
post #8 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 01:38 AM
Banned

PTrader: (19/100%)
Post #4 shows a 37g (30"x12" footprint and 22" tall). Buck's description makes me think that the aquarium that he mentioned may be somewhat like this one, but the plants are different. http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...-37g-tall.html

EHEIM PIMP #164
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Classic 2011, Classic 2213, Classic 2217, ECCO 2236, Pro II 2028, Liberty 2040, Liberty 2042

VICTOR PIMP #1
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
VTS253A-1993, VTS250B-580, VTS253D-320, HPT500-40-350-4M, SGT500-40-4F-DK
post #9 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 04:20 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Thanks for all the comments. Doing a "column tank" like this is forcing me to think of my layout far more 'three dimensionally' than ever before due to the fairly extreme dimensions of the tank I'm considering.

The tank I mentioned in the opening post is made by Top-Fin, which is pretty obscure, PetsMart affiliated...seem to be made by Perfecto. Anyways, according to this, the 47g is 20x18x30 and they have a 37g which is 20x18x24.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck View Post
Im not so sure you will like the results with 36 watters. The crypts and ferns should be fine but that is a lot of depth for the mosses if you plan on it growing down low in the tank, especially the fissidens.
I was planning on putting the fissidens and taiwan on the driftwood. On the bottom "down low" would be some windelov java, wendtii crypts, and 'micro' e. tenellus.

Quote:
Im not so sure you will like the results with 36 watters. ..Lets face it, a 96w aint fitting over that tank nicely. Throw out the wpg assumption on this tank...
The WPG rule is worse than worthless, it's misleading. That said, 3x36w will easily fit over this tank - many people put 2x36w on 10g, which is 20"x10" surface area, and this tank is 20"x18" - so no worries there on it physically fitting on top or anything. I believe even 4x36w will fit according to this. Coralife makes a 20" 96w fixture, but their "reflectors" are incredibly lame. 3x36w AHS = 108w, and they are quality watts with individual reflectors and better coverage. The question is: will the intensity be enough down low? I don't know, I've never dealt with depths like 30." More generally, should I countenance Rex's self-proclaimed 'rant'?:
"I have seen a lot of people repeating the lie that deeper tanks need more light. That might be true if you are using crappy lighting systems or barely have enough light as it is. But if you use decent lighting systems with decent reflectors the depth of the tank doesn't mean squat. You might hear about spectral drop off or lighting decrease. Bull[censored][censored][censored][censored]! If your tank was 30 feet deep it would be one thing. But the difference between 18 and 30 is not enough to worry about as long as you have good reflectors."

Thanks, LeftC, for posting that thread. He was having trouble getting glosso to grow horizontal w/130 Coralife watts over what looks like the 37g, 24" deep tank mentioned above. Note that his glosso was still growing, just not up. I'm not planning on glosso or anything. Just chain sword and crypts and java fern and such. I'll stick my neck out and say that 108 AHS watts are more than 130 Coralife watts (currently owning both), but the tank I'm considering is 6" deeper....

Quote:
Pendant MH's are the lighting of choice for deep tanks just due to the high wattage vs the physical size of the fixture. L
Lighting is key though, under power it and the plants will be stringy looking.
I'll admit I'm a total noob to MH, but thanks, I'll look into them. The price tags are pretty intimidating, but I'm excited about this layout and will do whatever is necessary (within reason). If anyone has any general info on MH lighting for planted tanks, or can weigh in on the purported 'depth myth', I'd really appreciate it.

I've given a bit more thought to stocking. This is reflected in the opening post above.
post #10 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 04:53 AM
Banned

I want to follow your thread too, macclellan. I have an All-Glass 37g (30"x12"x22") that I'm at a loss on how to do a good aquascape for it.

What do you think about something like this for a tall aquarium idea. It's #15 from the 2007 ADA contest. I wonder what it would look like if you only did one side of this picture for your aquascape and not both sides. I also wonder if it would be better in a tall aquarium without the white sand.

EHEIM PIMP #164
Classic 2011, Classic 2213, Classic 2217, ECCO 2236, Pro II 2028, Liberty 2040, Liberty 2042

VICTOR PIMP #1
post #11 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 05:16 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left C View Post
What do you think about something like this for a tall aquarium idea.
Sorta. I'm thinking more vertically oriented, spindly driftwood starting from the right up towards the middle-left.
Balansae in back-right 1/3 of tank, covering filter intake.
Spiralis just in front.
Narrow java or Bolbitis in the base to middle of the wood.
Midde to upper wood a mix of Needle leaf java and Fissidens and Taiwan mosses.
These two nice 6" diameter plugs of windelov I have in front right of aquarium concealing the drifwood base.
Big wendtii stand as a midground in the middle-to left.
Front left of aquarium with e. tenellus 'micro.'
If you followed that, I'm impressed.

Quote:
I also wonder if it would be better in a tall aquarium without the white sand.
In addition to the excessively tacky use of photoshop wanting me to gouge out my eyeballs, that photograph makes me agree with you that going with a darker substrate may be better than white sand.
post #12 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 05:55 AM
Banned

I really like your idea and your choice of plants. I just can't vision what the Manzanita would look like. I know what you are saying, but my mind can't draw a picture of it.

Have you made up your mind if you are going with the 47g or the 37g?

EHEIM PIMP #164

VICTOR PIMP #1
post #13 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 06:05 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Thanks Left C.

Quote:
Have you made up your mind if you are going with the 47g or the 37g?
No, not yet. This whole idea just started coalescing after seeing the 47g today...the wifey and I had "a little talk" today and I've got her tentative approval for a June project. The default is the 47g since that is what is readily available locally without having to special order. Plus, it's that much more different and 'difficult' - I like a challenge. Really though, it will all depend on the wood. I'll be getting the hardscape first this time, and building the tank around it this time rather than vice versa...
post #14 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 06:46 AM
Banned

Check out this #16 Large pkg for the 47g. It's post #250 for the pictures.
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sw...ftwood-17.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badcopnofishtank View Post
Yes, I have a few I will be listing soon.

Nano package 45 is still available.

Large pkg #16:
Perfect for tanks 50-75 gallons or larger. At least (14) 14"-30" aged (more grainy look) manzanita branches with several twisting pieces that are perfect for a DIY stump with the zip ties I include for free. Please include which package the paypal payment is for when ordering. $75 shipped

EHEIM PIMP #164

VICTOR PIMP #1
post #15 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Great minds think alike, Left C - and so do you and I.
Many of those pieces in that pack look great, but it's about 2-3x as much wood as I would need... I'll think about it a bit more.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode