No Filter on a Ten Gallon Planted Tank? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Talking No Filter on a Ten Gallon Planted Tank?

I'm considering leaving off a filter for a newly planted 10 gallon. I will be adding shrimp and fish in a few weeks, but no filter, ...maybe. 'Why?', you ask. I've heard that filters and air stones deplete the co2 levels. And since I won't be adding co2, I need all I can get. But, I would like to have movement in the tank to keep the crud off the top and distribute fertilizers and other nutrients to the plants. Maybe a small powerhead. If you have any thoughts on the matter, please please help me out.

http://aquariumexperiments.com/

Last edited by AWolf; 08-02-2015 at 06:59 PM. Reason: clarification
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014, 06:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

This can surely be done. Biggest thing is to get the plants going well before putting live stock. A small power head is a nice idea.

Ensure its heavily planted too. Floaters and some fast growing stem plants will be important as well. Heat the tank in the mid 70s as higher temps reduce co2

75 Gallon Low Tech w/ Green Terror Pair
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipraposo1982 View Post
This can surely be done. Biggest thing is to get the plants going well before putting live stock. A small power head is a nice idea.

Ensure its heavily planted too. Floaters and some fast growing stem plants will be important as well. Heat the tank in the mid 70s as higher temps reduce co2
Thanks! I thought I was on the right track.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014, 07:27 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
I don't know that anyone has tested it, but I'm pretty sure you're going to end up with LOWER CO2 levels in a planted 10gal tank without a filter/good water movement than you would on a tank with it.

The plants are going to be absorbing CO2, and the primary source of additional CO2 will be what is diffusing into the water from the atmosphere (livestock respiration will help, but an appropriately stocked 10gal tank is going to have a pretty small bioload...). Therefore the more water exposed to the atmosphere, the higher the CO2.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014, 07:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
I've done a dirt tank (29G) with plants, fish and no filter. Kept it for about a year until I needed to move it off the back porch. Growth was consistent and good. No water movement at all.

BTW Laura you need to change your sig.

Dilution is the solution for the pollution.
Quote me as saying I was misquoted.
Once you get rid of integrity the rest is a piece of cake.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014, 11:27 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraleellbp View Post
I don't know that anyone has tested it, but I'm pretty sure you're going to end up with LOWER CO2 levels in a planted 10gal tank without a filter/good water movement than you would on a tank with it.

The plants are going to be absorbing CO2, and the primary source of additional CO2 will be what is diffusing into the water from the atmosphere (livestock respiration will help, but an appropriately stocked 10gal tank is going to have a pretty small bioload...). Therefore the more water exposed to the atmosphere, the higher the CO2.
I thought about that too, but figure a small power head will move the water enough to help with the exchange from the atmosphere, without depleting as much co2. Thanks for your input!
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraphicGr8s View Post
I've done a dirt tank (29G) with plants, fish and no filter. Kept it for about a year until I needed to move it off the back porch. Growth was consistent and good. No water movement at all.

That's good news! Thanks!
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014, 11:35 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraphicGr8s View Post
Whatchoo talkin bout, Willis?

And I agree, a powerhead should be fine.

You can even stick sponge prefilters on some of them to help filter, too, if you want.

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-14-2014, 12:45 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Quote:
Whatchoo talkin bout, Willis?

And I agree, a powerhead should be fine.

You can even stick sponge prefilters on some of them to help filter, too, if you want.
Face it without me you'd be lost.

Dilution is the solution for the pollution.
Quote me as saying I was misquoted.
Once you get rid of integrity the rest is a piece of cake.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-14-2014, 12:52 AM
Planted Member

I don't see the difference between a power head and a sponge filter as far as movement, plus one will help keep nitrites/ammonia at bay. And you're going to be swimming in algae if you go with your plan now.

I had a beta in a 10g with just plants and lights. Dirted tank, no movement. Things got much better (including the beta's color and fin regrowth) once I added the sponge filter. I'm still fighting with the algae that is in there from the beginning.

Also, don't worry about diffusing CO2, unless you're injecting it.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-14-2014, 09:11 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:

I just want to reiterate what lauraleellbp said, in a tank, your source of CO2 is the atmosphere, the highest level of CO2 that you can aspire to have in your tank (without injecting extra CO2) is atmospheric levels of CO2. Your tank starts out with levels of CO2 equal to the atmosphere, then your plants deplete CO2 as they use it, the only way to replenish your CO2 levels is to have it diffused from the atmosphere, so you want water movement and surface agitation to keep maximal levels of CO2 in your tank.

The only time that you lose CO2 to the environment is if you have higher CO2 levels in the tank than in the atmosphere, and that only happens if you are injecting CO2.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-14-2014, 10:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
+1 with Cryolath

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-15-2014, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryolath View Post
I just want to reiterate what lauraleellbp said, in a tank, your source of CO2 is the atmosphere, the highest level of CO2 that you can aspire to have in your tank (without injecting extra CO2) is atmospheric levels of CO2. Your tank starts out with levels of CO2 equal to the atmosphere, then your plants deplete CO2 as they use it, the only way to replenish your CO2 levels is to have it diffused from the atmosphere, so you want water movement and surface agitation to keep maximal levels of CO2 in your tank.

The only time that you lose CO2 to the environment is if you have higher CO2 levels in the tank than in the atmosphere, and that only happens if you are injecting CO2.
But, the filter vs power head issue still bothers me. I've read that filters (sponge, charcoal, etc.), will scrub some co2 out of the water. So a power head seems the better option. Thanks for your thoughts!
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-15-2014, 07:33 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

C02 is just too small to be scrubbed out by a filter. On a molecular scale it is really tiny and light. Generally carbon filters out only the larger molecules. C02 compared to C6H12O6.

The bacteria on the sponge are consuming 02 and releasing C02 as they metabolize ammonia, nitrate and other organic wastes. Not that this will make much of a difference compared the the rate of diffusion of the gas into the water with the water motion.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-15-2014, 07:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWolf View Post
But, the filter vs power head issue still bothers me. I've read that filters (sponge, charcoal, etc.), will scrub some co2 out of the water. So a power head seems the better option. Thanks for your thoughts!
A sponge on a power head is a filter, like others have stated you will probably have less co2 in a low tech tank with no surface exchange.

EHEIM Pimp Club Member #250 2217,2026,2236

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode