Raising Nitrates - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Raising Nitrates

How do you raise Nitrates in a planted tank?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014, 03:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)
Well can you give us a bit more info first? Are there any live fish or inverts in the tank? if so please give list of what, tank size, and a rough idea of a plant list (let people understand the balance). If it does not have live critters you can be a little wreckless (though i woudln't personally advocate it) and put in fish food or dead plant matter to generate ammonia, which after the nitrogen cycle will be more nitrate... If you have fauna and want raised nitrates, a safe method would be a nitrogen fertilizer for aquarium use. I have a small bottle of Seahem flourish Nitrogen that I plan to use on my 20g long (currently only plants) once it uses up all the nitrate in there (had fish and plant die off recntly so that led to raised nitrates that are now going down slowly).

If you are talking about a new tank and cycling it to get beneficial bacteria colony going to make it fish/invert safe you need 2 things: an ammonia source and a test kit to keep an eye on ammonia levels (and eventually nitrites). If this if what you are really asking I'd recommend fish-less pure ammonia dosing and giving THIS a read and using its calculator and converter to help.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.
Starting to update these threads

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~
~
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014, 04:12 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
I give them privacy and some good moss to breed in. :-)

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014, 04:17 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve002 View Post
Wtf ??

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.

~
~
~
~
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014, 04:52 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Get some KNO3 "Potassium Nitrate". Look into EI dosing to find charts that will tell you how much to use per volume to get the ppm you are shooting for.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
LOL, sorry!

The tank is 75 gallons and has been running for about 2 months. Pressurized CO2, Red BML light but will have a Dutch XB with controller by next week, hopefully, MTS and black diamond sand substrate. I'm EI dosing but usually forget to do it 3 times a week. I do 50% water changes every Sunday.

I have 4 Neons, 6 Rummynose, 6 Cloud Minnows, 6 Threadfins, 6 Rainbow Furcatus, Nerites, Red Cherry Shrimp and tons of pond snails.

I have Glosso that is being replaced with Ranalisma Rostrata this weekend, Vals, Swords, ferns, Blyxa, Anubias Nana Petite, Java Fern and I don't know the names of the rest.

What should the Nitrate level be?

Last edited by Kntry; 05-18-2015 at 02:17 AM.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I just did a water test. I changed out 50% of the water 5 days ago.

pH - 7
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 0
Ammonia - 0
Hardness - 9 or 161
Alkalinity - 9 or 161

According to the chart, the CO2 would be around 26-28. According to the bubble checker, it is light green.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014, 07:37 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
You don't have any nitrates because your plants are sucking it up faster then the fish can make it. In a normal planted tank with just fish 10-20ppm nitrates is good. With shrimp you want it even lower, as they are sensitive. I suggest if you raise the nitrates do it slowly so your shrimp don't go suicidal on you.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

So raise the Nitrates by increasing the KNO3? I should be adding 3/4 tsp. 3 times a week but in reality, I usually only do it once a week.

I wish there was a way to automate the ferts.

Also, does it matter that I do them all at once?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014, 08:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Damn lucky, I've never managed to get my nitrates to 0. Out of the tap the tests reads 20ppm though water report says its never gone above 2ppm...
btw love the tank photo! Whats that white thing a little left of center on the substrate? ceramic statue?

~
~
~
~
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014, 08:50 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve002 View Post

+1 on the privacy. My problem is just the opposite...mature tank syndrome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I thought I was supposed to have Nitrates for a planted tank.

My koi pond always has 0 Nitrates because I have it set up on semi-flow through and also do about 3000 gallon water changes every week. I'm on a well so I have 0 everything out of the tap and 5 pH.

Thanks, AquaAurora. Yes, the statue is a mermaid that Meganne who posts here made for me.

Last edited by Kntry; 05-18-2015 at 02:17 AM.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode