Teardown, Cleanup, Storage - Recommendations from the pros? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question Teardown, Cleanup, Storage - Recommendations from the pros?

I have to move and put everything in storage for a few months while we move around and then get a new place; fish and plants are gone. Do folks have any recommendation for clean-up prior to storage?

I have eco-complete and soil, was thinking of trying to keep the eco-complete to use again later ... all the other equipment will be boxed.

In my mind for the equipment am thinking a good rinse, wipe and make sure it is dry. Anything special to think about with the canister filter (should I keep any of the media or just buy all new) Any other suggestions ? (Should use anything other than water, like vinegar maybe or bleach?)

Eco-complete ... just rinse and let dry?

Any other suggestions from folks who have done this before? It's my first tank and not sure ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014, 04:09 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Rinse and dry well and all should be good. Take the opportunity to clean your equipment and tank well. Good luck on the move.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014, 04:17 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
You can soak all the hardware that was submerged in a bleach solution. I tend to overdo it, but a couple of cups of unscented bleach should work fine for a few hours. Make sure everything is dry and store in bags. Zip-locks if possible. Give the inside of the tank a quick wipe-down with a paper towel and bleach solution or peroxide. You can squeeze out sponges in the canister really good and let it dry out too. I wouldn't re-use any other media. I would avoid storing the tank in a really hot environment which is possible this time of year.

I've never tried to store and re-use substrate, so hopefully someone else will chime in on that point.

Angelo

"Why can't my wife see all of this stuff as an investment?"

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-14-2014, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for that input - yea, unfortunately it's going into a storage unit ... luckily the tank was pretty cheap. One of the cheapest pieces of equipment there. Smile. I'll try a little bleach, soak, wipe down, and sun dry before packing it up.

Am curious about the substrate as well -- might not be worth the effort but eco-complete isn't super cheap.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014, 04:14 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I wouldn't bag anything, unless you can get it completely dry first. Otherwise it might mildew or harbor some stinky microbes or something else unpleasant. Maybe throw a sheet or something over it to keep dust, etc. out of it.

As to the substrate, a few months back I tore down a tank with flourite and dirt. It was kinda a mess, but I went through several cycles of drying the substrate (a thin layer in several different buckets), and then winnowing with old tank or driftwood-soaking water. put the water in, stir the bucket up good, and pour off anything floating/suspended. A few of those seemed to remove most of the dirt (although it did leave sand and rocks/gravel from the dirt behind).

As to the media, I'd just rinse it out good and let it dry, most of that is pretty inert stuff, so I don't see why not reuse it.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014, 04:53 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
I've been re-using a Flourite mix for years. I just rinse it really well, let it dry, and keep it in a big rubbermaid with a lid.

I rinse it again really well before using it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014, 11:57 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Thinking this one over, I have to agree with laureleebp on the substrate. Really can't do any harm, and I have to believe "new" substrate is far from sanitary anyway.

I should've added that I would give all the hardware a bleach dip coming out of storage. While bagging it all may create a mold / mildew issue, I think it's less of a risk than from airborne or "4-legged-borne" who knows what in a storage locker. I store away powerheads, tubing, etc. in pastic tubs. I almost always have a bleach tub in the fish room and anything coming out of those tubs gets a dip and a rinse before it touches water again.

Angelo

"Why can't my wife see all of this stuff as an investment?"

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode