where to put my tank? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 02:58 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
where to put my tank?

I need some advice on where to put my tank. I know I need to keep it away from the windows but can I put it against an outside wall? I live in NW ontario and our winter temps can get down to -30C or so. I don't want that to wreak havoc on my temperature in my tank or burn out my tank heater trying to keep it regulated. Any advice?

PS. I rent and the house I live in isn't the greatest for insulation. My outside walls are probably 3 or 4 degrees colder than my inside walls in the winter time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 02:32 PM

The tank(s) I enjoy most are the ones that are the most comfortable to view. Tanks that are placed too high, too low or in an out of the way place will not be enjoyed as much. My favorite tank happens to be the smallest, it is conviently located next to my favorite chair.

Good luck.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 02:38 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)
Do you have an inside wall to put it up against? I know what you mean about an outside wall living up north if the insulation isn't the best you can actually feel the cold against the wall. You might could put a layer of insulating material behind the tank something like bead board or styrofoam. I don't know if that would make a difference or not. Maybe someone else has better suggestions.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 05:06 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I do have a few options when it comes to inside walls. The best one involves rearranging my living room. Which I may do anyways to have my tank where I want it, it just means that I owe my husband a favour for making him shift all the furniture around.

If I go with an outside wall, I'll try the insulation idea to be safe. Corkboard is easy to get and wouldn't be too hard to set up.

Thanks for your thoughts!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I've got one more question regarding where to place my tank. How much natural light is too much? I have a 2 sq ft east facing window that would be shedding light on my tank if I put it in the spot that I want. Is this going to cause problems with algae?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 12:06 AM
Algae Grower

Send a message via AIM to Indy2008
I have my 55 Gallon tank in my sunroom...the room gets full sun from morning till about noon...I've never had any problems with algae..I have 40 fish, but I do have a few algae eaters though...
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-24-2008, 01:19 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Wingsdlc
My 55G gets slammed with sun light first thing in the morning with direct light for maybe 1/2 an hour. Then until noon it gets some indirect light. I am not having any algae issues. My plants will even grow towards the window before the tank light comes on at about 2pm.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
5.65WPG, EI dosing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
4WPG, EI dosing

April 2008

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode