Good aquarium magazines? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014, 02:01 AM Thread Starter
Banned

PTrader: (0/0%)
Good aquarium magazines?

Do you guys know any good freshwater fish keeping magazines? Preferably free or cheap, but it does not have to be.
I wanted to subscribe to Practical Fish Keeping, but I have to pay in Euros and/or Pounds and I living in North America, do not have Euros.
THANKS!

Last edited by hardyfish; 06-13-2014 at 03:03 AM. Reason: Mistake
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014, 02:02 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
AMAZONAS MAGAZINE

Roy_________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1X 59W Fluval Plant (3.0); 45 Gallon Tall, 1X 46W Fluval Plant (3.0); 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 & (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014, 02:51 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (28/100%)
There are a few, one of the better ones is supposedly Tropical Fish Hobbyist, magazines tend to be highly biased and filled with ads. TPT is a much better resource for knowledge, but if you want something to have sitting on the back of the toilet you cannot go wrong with TFH. There is also AquaScapingWorld, which is free I believe but they have not had a new issue since 2010. A few I have only heard of but never seen in person are: Red Fish, Freshwaster and Marine Aquarium, Aquarium Fish Magazine, Practical fishkeeping, Aquarium USA, The Fishkeeper just to name a few. Let us know which one you like best.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014, 02:52 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
I'm biased, but TFH is my fave. TFH has a digital subscription, too.

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014, 02:58 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Thank you guys so much for the suggestions both magazines sound very good!
THANK YOU SO MUCH GUYS!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014, 04:27 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (58/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraleellbp View Post
I'm biased, but TFH is my fave. TFH has a digital subscription, too.
I have to agree with this. I have had a subscription to TFH since the 90's and still have almost every issue minus a few that somehow got lost in moves. However I have looked through some Amazonas issues and really enjoyed them.

All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death life is only a dream which is an imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014, 03:24 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via AIM to adamprice271
I let my TFH expire after 15 years. I used to love them but now of days, it seems like it is aimed at new keepers, and they got rid of some good sections (like the large predatory articles) It is all based off of Jack Wattley, which I like to read because it is usually funny, the crap he comes up with. I'm sick of Takashi Amano as every month he will tell you how to aqascape with wood, boulders, moss, mopani wood, malaysian wood, rocks in the foreground, rocks in the background etc etc. Re-hashed stuff that I really don't care about anymore. I just wish they would go more in depth on different species, but they don't do it too much anymore. Amazonas magazine is more for the advanced aquarist, or for people that want more in depth information. It is pricey, but comes out once every other month and has a TON of usefun information in it. Focuses more on rarer species, breeding, genetics etc. You can preview them online before you buy.

Adam

125g semi planted. 2 silver angels, 14 silver tips, 16 white fin ornatus tetras, pair of Nicaraguense, pair of nototus severums, trio of firemouth cichlids. 2 FX5s, 1 1500gph circ pump, 2 48" LED lighs, and a HUGE piece of driftwood.

650g fish room. 15 30g tanks, 150g sump.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014, 10:13 PM
Algae Grower

Are you a PFK forum member. I am, and I was able to subscribe to Practical Fishkeeping with payment in USD.

One good tank deserves another
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2014, 06:26 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (362/100%)
yup, TFH!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2014, 07:30 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
AquaJournal, not in English anymore though.

CORAL is also good to read, even if it is saltwater.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode