Fish Safe Silicone? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Fish Safe Silicone?

Hey guys.
I am trying to use this stuff called "Loctite" Clear Silicone Sealant, to seal a water jug that I use to fill my smaller aquariums. I did not crack it I attached a hose on it and I just need to seal the hole on the inside of the jug and the outside of the jug.
I am sorry, but I can not get you guys pictures right now.
Do you guys think this stuff is aquarium safe/fish safe?
It smells kind of nasty like vinegar and it has like 3 warning labels about not getting it on your skin, eyes, or in the hands of a child.
BTW this has been sitting in my house for a while now.
THANKS!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 10:11 PM
Algae Grower

As long as it has no mold inhibitors. It should tell you on the label.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 10:28 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

+1 ^... it will usually say on the label somewhere that its aquarium safe. i know that the GE brand silicone is ok for fish. if nothing else go to petco/smart and they will have the stuff that you need. i think its about ten bucks for a tube.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 11:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
My husband re-did the silicone of our 20g long (original was horribly done) we use GE clear silicone Door and Window II. It's held up fine and had fish without problem (though fish coming home from lfs with disease is a different story...).

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.
Starting to update these threads

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~
~
~
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 11:49 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the replys guys.
The package did not say anything about having OR not having mold inhibitors.
Can I use this?
THANKS!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014, 04:27 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via AIM to adamprice271
IT has to be 100% silicone It should say on the label somewhere if it is fish/aquarium safe or not. Silicone does smell bad, until it cures which takes up to 22 hours. After that, the smell is gone, and safe to use.

125g semi planted. 2 silver angels, 14 silver tips, 16 white fin ornatus tetras, pair of Nicaraguense, pair of nototus severums, trio of firemouth cichlids. 2 FX5s, 1 1500gph circ pump, 2 48" LED lighs, and a HUGE piece of driftwood.

650g fish room. 15 30g tanks, 150g sump.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014, 11:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
The vinegar smell is pretty normal for silicone. The curing process releases acetic acid, which is the active ingredient in vinegar.

Most of the time, silicones will advertise that they are antimicrobial/antifungal/mildew resistant, etc. if they contain anti microbial/anti-fungal/anti-bacterial compounds.

Also check and see if the label says whether or not it is suitable for food-contact surfaces.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-15-2014, 12:50 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

It does not say fish safe or anything like that, but it says that it can be used on kitchen surfaces and stuff.

Sent from my SM-T210R using Tapatalk
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014, 01:48 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
A picture of the product would probably help a bit. It is hard to say whether the silicone is safe or not.

A quick look on the Loctite website reveals this product, that clearly states that it is aquarium safe.

http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/6/2...of-Sealant.htm

Anthony

and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014, 05:33 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
+1 the loctite aquarium safe sealant... hardware stores usually have it with the superglue for $3-4

your petsmart/co carries the aqueon brand one that's slightly bigger & costs ~$10

w/ the GE door and window one, i've heard that the GE II variety shouldnt be used because of mold-resistant properties... also make sure to read the back, as a lot of sealants say that they shouldnt be used for prolonged underwater use

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode