Cant grow java fern! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-04-2004, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hi Folks: I have read so many times about java fern being easy to grow, it is not fussy about light or nurtrients. I just can NOT grow this plant as it turns completely black and rots right through. IF they are not fussy, why will it not survive in my tank? I have very soft water, could that be the answer?? Thanks-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-04-2004, 07:52 PM

I have heard that Java Ferns prefer hard water.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-05-2004, 01:10 AM Thread Starter

Thank you. I figured that had to be the reason as all other plants are doing fine. Thanks-

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-05-2004, 01:13 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
I have pretty soft water water and they grow like crazy. They do like light but they can be forgiving to some extent, they prefer some water current and do require some nutrients .
Also, I keep the nitrates in my tank at 8 - 12 ppm , the ferns seem to do better in this range. I rarely test my nitrates anymore, when my ferns dont look their best , I find my nitrates are normally low. :?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-05-2004, 02:29 AM Thread Starter

What do you add to keep your nitrates that high Buck?? I am now looking for stump remover but have not found it locally yet. Thanks-
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-05-2004, 09:12 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Probably fish poop....

Del Goins

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-05-2004, 02:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
fishlady,

You can buy all the nutients you need @ http://www.gregwatson.com/products.asp. Stump remover is nothing more than Potassium Nitrate (if your lucky). When marketed as stump remover, it is usually much more expensive than when you buy it as ferts.

KNO3 will come in powder form. Use Chuck's calculator to create diluted (more accurate) solutions. I use a 5ml syringe to dose my tanks. http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_p...osage_calc.htm

Ted

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Set up April 2007 -

- Terminated March 2007 -
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-05-2004, 02:57 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Fishlady,

First off, what is your set up like? How much light are you using, and what about co2. I don't think that you will need to be dosing your tank with nutrients for your java fern. Of course, it doesn't hurt, but java fern is pretty undemanding. Mine thrives with 20W incadescent on a 38g tank that only houses two adult angels and two cories.

What are your specs?

-

-
-
AQUATIC GAZETTE FEATURE

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-05-2004, 04:30 PM Thread Starter

I have a 90 gallon tank that houses angelfish (8) and I have a reading of 0 nitrate right now, thats why I was looking into the stump remover...I have tried java fern many times and it just does not survuve. Dont know why-
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-05-2004, 05:06 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
0 Nitrate eh? What kind of other plants do you have in there and what's your light like? What nitrate test do you have by the way? Do you use co2?

-

-
-
AQUATIC GAZETTE FEATURE

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-05-2004, 11:58 PM Thread Starter

I have hygrophylia, water sprite, hornwort, anubia nanas, moneywort, banana plant, micro sword and amazon sword. I test it with aquarium pharm. test kit and yes the test is good because I have two tanks and it reads 10 in the unplanted 30. Thanks, I have read that 0 nitrates is not unusual with alot of plants. Correct??
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-06-2004, 12:01 AM Thread Starter

OOps, forgot to add the lighting is 1.5 wpg form a compact flourescent- K 9325 (brand new).

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode