Help, snail invasion! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-04-2004, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Can someone please tell me what kind of snails these are? Are they good snails or bad snails?

Either way, what's the best way to get rid of them? They're definitely happy in my 28 gallon tank because they're multiplying extremely quickly

TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-04-2004, 06:30 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

They look like pond snails. Don't know the exact species.

They are bad if they eat your plants and good if they don't. A lot of snails eat only dead and dying leaves so it can sometimes be hard to tell. You think the snail is eating your plants but really they were dying anyway.

To get rid of them get a couple Zebra Loaches, Botia striata. They are neat fish, stay small (3-4 inches), and will wipe out a snail population.

Tony
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-04-2004, 06:59 PM
2la

Not pond snails, but ramshorn snails. Completely harmless inasmuch as their abundance may indicate your propensity to overfeed. Cut back on feeding to control their numbers, and they're easily tolerated.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-04-2004, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2la
Not pond snails, but ramshorn snails. Completely harmless inasmuch as their abundance may indicate your propensity to overfeed. Cut back on feeding to control their numbers, and they're easily tolerated.
I concure. They are indeed ramshorn. Pond snails have little cones that come out the back of em, like mini MTS cones sort of. I love ramshorn snails and think they are cool. I have some in my tank. My zebra loaches eat most of the babies but haven't succeeded in nabbing a few of the bigger ones (though they try..).

Matt
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-04-2004, 09:43 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

other than the coolness factor, why would you want snails?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-04-2004, 10:29 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
They eat algae and they make the tank look more natural. I read some else post that they produce beneficial bacteria in their waste.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-04-2004, 11:16 PM

I have snails that look very similar, only a darker shell and they don't bother my plants. I had always thought they were pond snails but I guess they're called ramshorn. To be honest I don't really care about their name, I just call them snails. Still I think they are good to have in the tank.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-05-2004, 02:24 PM

Crush them with some tweezers and feed them to your fish... my white clouds love that particular type of ramshorn snail (I have the exact same in my tank). They've become so accustomed to eating them that I've witnessed them picking smaller snails off the glass.

I don't mind the snails except that they breed like crazy...I keep them in check by picking them off the glass/driftwood every once in a while. I don't think overfeeding is an issue--my snails seem content on eating diatoms and nothing more...and I most certainly don't overfeed.

^iMp^
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-05-2004, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the quick replies ... I love this place

BTW, I don't think over feeding is a contributing fact in my tank. I do feed my fish a few times a day to keep NO3+ up for the plants, but I don't feed very much at a time and all the food is gone in less than 15 seconds with out any chance of a crumb reaching the aquarium floor
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-05-2004, 04:12 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Rams horn snails just "do it"....a lot :P

food or no food

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
AQUATIC GAZETTE FEATURE

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-05-2004, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Guy
Rams horn snails just "do it"....a lot :P

food or no food
That's for sure. The other night I had 2 going crazy on the front glass together mating and I decided to try to charge all my friends sitting around a Quarter for the free peep show.

Matt
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-05-2004, 07:49 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
I feed my fish one a day or every other day and I still have plenty of ramshorns. I think that as long as there is enough leaf litter and algae in the tank they will be in high numbers.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode