Converting eheim pro 2229&tank from salt to fresh for pl - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-04-2004, 05:53 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
I recently purchased a 110g setup including an eheim 2229 that was previously used in a salt setup. I have pitched all the old ehfisubstrat- but I am not sure as to what I should be including so far as filter mediums to start up a planted freshwater tank. A local petstore told me just to use the ehfisubstrat in 2/3 and the prefilter cylinders in other 1/3rd. I was also told I do not need to use any sponges. Is this good advice? I am also contemplating replacing the Intake pipe, security outlet pipe and spray bar as they have residue from the salt setup. They have all been scrubbed but I do not know if this is sufficient-any thoughts??
Lastly, the tank still has crud on the walls. I'm a little nervous about scratching the glass- which would be tragic- so I'm hoping again that someone may offer some advice as to the best way to proceed with this.
Beyond preparing cleaning the tank and fixing up the filter, I think I've decided to go with the fluourite red as substrate. Have I missed anything??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-04-2004, 06:52 PM

Hey

Im not the best at this, still a beginner my self, but I got a used tank such as yourself that was used with salt water and had the crud you were talking about. I went weeks tryng to get it off by scraping with nails, rubbin with a dish brush (of course I bought it new and didnt use it on the dishes at all) and nothing changed.

I went to my Local Hardware Store and purchase a two sided razor blade and BOOM with slight CAREFULL scratching it comes off. Do not press hard at all and make sure that it is level on the glass cause if one end your putting more pressure on it could scratch it....

I put vinegar on the blade, just a lil and it was fantastic and worked perfectly. I had [retty much crud and got it all off with maybe 1-2 TINY scrataches that you cant even see, I just noticed cause I was so worried aobut it lol...

Hope this helps
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-04-2004, 07:04 PM
2la

Just set up a five gallon bucket and fill it with a 1:19 solution of bleach and run the filter on it overnight. Then empty the bucket and refill it with water dosed with 5-10 times the normal amount of dechlorinator. Run the filter overnight again, and then rinse it out thoroughly. If there's any remaining smell of chlorine, repeat treatment with the extra-dechlrorinated water.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-05-2004, 06:22 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
like loko said, vinegar should work the best, it disolves calcium

#19 E-pimp
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-07-2004, 05:53 AM
Planted Member

That is a great filter for a planted tank because you don't need a reactor to inject CO2. That filter has an air intake at the top of it that you attach an airline to. Intead of injecting air, you can use it to inject CO2. 8)

That filter is designed to use Ehfisubstrat as it's only media. According to what I read somewhere, You can put other media in it but it "degrades performance". The article did not metion the type of other media used or how it degraded performance. So 1/3 Efhimech, 2/3 Ehfisubstrat would be a good mix IMHO. But I would search the site for 2229 or 2227 and get in contact with someone who is running one and see what they say.

Eheim Pimp Club member #7
Pimp Thread Starter

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-07-2004, 05:58 AM
Planted Member

Or if you don't want to mess with cleaning the filter and buying new media, you can give it to me

Eheim Pimp Club member #7
Pimp Thread Starter

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode