65gal planted tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 04:12 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
65gal planted tank

Hello All,

New to the forum, but not to the hobby. I've had this 65 set up for a few years now and it has been changed countless times. I've got a Marineland Penguin 350 filter on it. A Coralife Aqualight T5 HO Dual Lamp Fixture, 36-Inch with Flora & Ultra Sun bulbs. A Nutrafin CO2 generator. Brown Flourite substrate. Dosing Flourish Phosphorous, Potassium, Iron, Excel & Trace and doing 25-30% water changes weekly. I let the tank go for a while due to my busy schedule but I've gotten it back in order with water changes and fertilizing. There is a lot of new growth, everything is coming back. I've got a random bunch of anubias,crypts, swords, and java fern. Its a little messy because I just transferred some plants from my 14 gallon but it still looks pretty decent.

I was just hoping to get some feedback on it. Any advice or suggestions are welcomed.

Pics are of full tank and the center cluster of plants.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	166.1 KB
ID:	332274  

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	136.3 KB
ID:	332282  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 04:51 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Going in from the right side there is a fish/w a yellow tail. Directly below that is a plant in poor condition. Is this one of the ones you just transfered ?
From the picture the stocking rate seems to be 55-65% and I'm wondering if you may
be under feeding you plants nutrients by over water changing. How are the water parameters like Ammonia/nitrites/nitrates ?
I can see a few problem in/on the plants but with the transfering andd lack of
maintenance in weeks past it's hard to tell the source(for me).
Anibias and Jave Fern grow so slowly and are not really an out in bright light type of plant. But simply old age in the leaves can account for lots of any of the bad leaves
on these. You can trim off a couple of the worst leaves but not but a couple from any one plant. Let them get some growth before more than that. On Java Fern I usually just leave bad leaves alone till the get very bad or turn yellow. Seems to be fairly normal for a few of the leaves to get a bit ragged on them once that leaf is older.
In all I'd allow it to settle and get better from the new schedule before doing much to it. I love my Zoo Med bulbs(but True Lumen also) and you seem to have all the other things you need in there. How long are the lights on for ?

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 05:21 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
The plants that were transferred were in perfect health. The plant you are referring to was in the tank already and those are the last of the bad leaves left. I planned on trimming it up here soon. My swords seem to be the hardest hit. I only recently started doing water changes. I never used to, never had the time. I've been doing them weekly for only about a month, I was quite a slacker for a while, lol. I've seen vast improvements since I started doing them and there is a lot of new growth. I also haven't tested the water in a bit but I never had issues with ammonia, nitrates, nitrites...guess I should test it at work, been slacking on that too. The anubias have remained the healthiest and hardiest throughout my period of neglect. I haven't done any trimming, just rearranging but I think I will clip some of the dead/dying leaves away. All I've seen is improvement with what I've been doing so far so I'm going continue my weekly water changes and supplement regiments for another month and see how it does.

As for the lights, they're on a timer 9:30am-7:30pm

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 07:59 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
I would remove the worst of the leaves on the swords. Since it happens in nature I'm skepticle of how much harm people say decaying plant matter does. But no doubt too much of it can hurt. Sometimes however on a Java Fern a new plantlet may form on the tip of a dieing leaf.(part of the reason I don't usually trim those till their horrible)
Checking the water on a weekly basis for the first couple of months cn help you establish if adequate ferts are there(or too much) because the nitrate level should gradually go down as the plants do better.
I would speculate that the tank may do better on 9 hrs of light or even 8 till growth is better. Hard to say a tall as that tank is. I do not want anything like fast growth.
I have two 10g tanks, one/w 2x T8 bulbs/w no Excel and very light ferts.
The other/w 2x normal Excel and 2x T5 bulbs and light ferts. I do 7.5 hrs in both
and I think it is progressing well. But then those tanks are much shorter.
I think the game plan in your last post is a very good one.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode