Eheim running...backwards! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Eheim running...backwards!

I just finished rinsing the filter media in my Eheim, no big deal. Put the top back on and now the filter runs backwards. As in the water comes out of the filter from the intake tube and tries to suck water from the tube that returns the water into the tank. I have triple checked everything, it should work fine. It is like the impeller is now going in the opposite direction. What is weird is that my Koralia (in tank) water circulator has done this at times too. The impeller on that will spin backwards. I beginning to think my tank is possessed! On top of this earlier today my pleco spooked at something and banged his head. Now he is up-side-down and swimming in circles. I'm not having a good day. How, how do I fix my Eheim Ecco to run properly?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014, 10:21 PM
Wannabe Guru

The first obvious question is, are you sure you have the tubes connected to the correct places? This may sound stupid, but it's not too hard to do.

Even if the impeller did spin backwards, the flow would usually be in the original direction, just lower. Think about how such pump works.

Sometimes I've pulled the head off and tested it in a bucket when I thought I had a problem, but it was a different Eheim model.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 04:45 PM
Algae Grower

Follow the advice about making sure you hook up the right inputs and outputs.

If it is truly running backwards, you need to get a electrician in your house right away.

AC motors can not run backwards unless they blow a capacitor. They will only blow a capacitor if they receive a electrical strike or corrupted current.

Given the behavior of the fish, you might have a electrical short in the tank.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 04:50 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveK View Post
The first obvious question is, are you sure you have the tubes connected to the correct places? This may sound stupid, but it's not too hard to do.
I've done this a few times.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 05:57 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraleellbp View Post
I've done this a few times.

me to, made one heck of a mess in my 8.7g

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 06:51 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
You didn't move to the Southern Hemisphere, did you? Seriously, I have to believe the tubes are reversed. Sounds like something I'd do.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014, 05:16 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Impeller driven motors can start going backwards but usually disconnecting and reconnecting the power a few times gets them running in the right direction again. Do check your pipes though.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-14-2014, 01:54 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
This really isn't a big mystery and can happen on filters or powerheads. It is a small point on the impeller that needs a check. Some background on how mag drive work will help to make sense. The current flowing through a coil around the impeller makes an Electromagnet. The impeller also is a magnet made up of alternating sections of positive and negative. So if the power comes up and a positive pole is attracted to the correct portion of the impeller, it starts spinning the correct way. If it happens that a negative comes up, the impeller portion will be pushed rather than pulled for that 1/60 second until the AC flow reverses. Looking at an impeller carefully , you may see that there is a small stop of some sort to stop the impeller from starting the wrong way if the power comes on reverse of what is needed. It is designed for the impeller to bang into the stop, pause and then as the power reverses, the impeller goes the right direction.
When your mag drive goes the wrong way, the little stop is not there. Often broken off. Some people get by with repeatedly plugging/ unplugging until they hit it at the right time.
I favor fixing the stop or replacing the motor.

I believe on the Koralia it is a small rubber tip stuck on a small nub of plastic on the cage? Been a while since I looked at one. Could be wrong about that.

Last edited by PlantedRich; 06-14-2014 at 02:00 AM. Reason: addition

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode