Question about carpet plants. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-18-2008, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question about carpet plants.

I was hoping to cover the bottom of my 29 standard with dwarf grass and microswords. So I've been buying them up whenever I get to go by the petshop. I've purchased quite a few specimens and have still only covered like 15% of the total area that I'm attempting to cover. I was just wondering how other people get mass #s of a plant. Am I going about picking up my carpet plants the wrong way by buying out of the pet shop? Should I be ordering online? Cause it seems like it's taking me forever to fill the carpet. Or do most people just buy a few plants and rely on their growth to fill out? I'm noobish thanks for any replies!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-18-2008, 01:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
you plant it stem by stem, or in your case: rossette by rossette. you plant loosely and cover the whole area you want covered. then as the plants grow they fill in the carpet. how fast they fill in depends on how fast they grow and that is determined by the conditions of your tank. where you buy from makes a minimal difference.

My Tanks:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-18-2008, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
The thing is my substrate is gravel not soil or sand.. So I guess you think I definitely need to take these plants out of their pots? I did that with a microsword plant once and it ended up all over the tank. I guess I might need to try it and be more careful.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-18-2008, 02:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (104/100%)
you definately need to take them out of the pots and spread them out. make sure you get all of the floss or potting material off the roots before planting them. good luck

75 Gallon Planted Tank.

Filstar Pimp #136

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-18-2008, 02:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
you can leave a very small amount of it on, but only maybe a small peice half the size of your nail TOTAL, or it messes up your water chemistry. try to damage the roots as little as possible (it helps if done in a bowl of water to soften the rockwool up).

My Tanks:

-
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode