Anubias nana is turning brown - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Anubias nana is turning brown

Two of my 3 Anubias are turning brown. The third one is fine.

My tank gets fertilized daily using the PPS-Pro method. CO2 from 6am to 6pm. Light dimmed to 10% from 6 to 9am, from 9am to noon slowly raised to 75%, dimmed done until 6pm, and then back to 10% until 9pm.

Picture below is taken during a water change to get a clearer image.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014, 04:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
You might have better luck getting an answer in the Plants forum section rather than here.
Can you get a clear shot of the rhizomes too (is the rhizome discolored, smell, or 'soft')? Are these newly acquired anubias?

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.
Starting to update these threads

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~
~
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The plants are 6+ months old. They have been growing great until about 4 weeks ago, when they turned brown. I had BBA (due to running out of CO2) and initially I thought that the leaves were brown because they had algae on them, but now all the new leaves are brown too.

Below is the rhizome from the 2nd plant. Not sure about the smell, but it's definitely not soft. In the photo it looks discolored, but it isn't really. all of them quadrupled in size.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014, 06:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Have you used any chemicals on the leaves to combat algae perhap's?
Looks something like what I experienced after using peroxide on a large anubia I have that has grown to the surface and sitting directly under the light on top of the tank, started to get some algae around the edge of those leaves closest to the light.
I see some new leaves that look healthy and also see where some leaves/stem's have been cut/removed.
Might move the anubia to shade area for a while if possible, and see if new leaves continue to sprout. I would cut the worst looking leaves from the plant and cut with sharp scissors or razor blade at an angle rather than straight across cut.I cut house plant's this way and is why I also cut aquarium plant's same way.(maybe not really make a difference but seem's to for me).
Can't really see any other plant's in photo very well but if it is only anubia that is affected,then with CO2 resuming and good fert routine along with maybe not sitting in direct light,the anubia will bounce back albeit slowwwwly.
I routinely cut away old leaves on my anubia that seem to start deteriorating a bit around the edges after a year or two to make room for new leaves.
My thinking /experiences with the anubia(s) I have ,is that old damaged leaves seldom repair themselves so I don't want what nutrient's I use going to try and repair that which slowly seem's to get worse rather than better.
Would much rather remove the poor looking leaves and thus allowing nutrient's to feed the new leaves .
My two cent's.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 02:27 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yes, it could be the h2o2. At least that's what I hope it is.

thank you.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode