background question - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-18-2008, 03:18 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to CLEVEsports420 Send a message via Yahoo to CLEVEsports420
background question

I'm going the route of using the flip side of a piece of background from LFS... But mounting it with double sided tape on the outside will hinder use of suction cups on the back of the tank. I am eventually planning on buying a full auto CO2 setup from foster smiths, http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...33&pcatid=9933 a few of the components it comes with are attached to the tank via suction cups. I was always under the understanding that the background goes on the outside of the tank... Any feedback here would be appreciated.

Fluval Pimp #1
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(aka Pimp Daddy Fluval)

"The only thing nessecary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
-Edmund Burke
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-18-2008, 04:03 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
I'm going to suggest something, take it as you will. I think that you should spend your money on a different setup; for the same price you can get better quality stuff from a number of sources: rex grigg, green leaf (my personal choice and recommendation), sumo...The only thing you won't get is the ractor, but not to worry: you can build your own for like 15 bucks and it will take you less than a half an hour. You're both saving money and getting higher quality components (none of which you'll need to attach with suction cups to the back of your aquarium). If you look here, you'll see two options available; the cheapest option, in my opinion is much better than the DF & S setup you're looking at, and, like I said, no HOB reactor. http://www.greenleafaquariums.com/co2-systems.html Anyway, good luck, and sorry I don't have better advice for the suction cup dilemma.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-18-2008, 04:25 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (25/100%)
coleMans right there the only things you really need is a tank, a regulator, a good need valve, a check valve and if you want it automated a seloniod (god i bucherd that word). the reactor you could make or use thing else like a glass and ceramic defuser or lime wood

"real cars don't have spark plugs"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-18-2008, 04:28 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
PS- you can also paint on a black background, or use a posterboard cutout, or use oil and a black plastic trashbag...

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-18-2008, 04:35 AM
Wannabe Guru

I used a piece of black ABS plastic and ran a bead of silicone around the inside edge; looks great, er, black. yeah, black.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-18-2008, 04:52 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Send a message via AIM to CLEVEsports420 Send a message via Yahoo to CLEVEsports420
Where do you paint? Inside or outside?

Fluval Pimp #1
(aka Pimp Daddy Fluval)

"The only thing nessecary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
-Edmund Burke
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-18-2008, 04:58 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Forgot to add, one of the main reasons I was looking at the foster smiths...

As you can see... Not much space to the left or right of the tank... Most of the stuff below the tank will not be there when its setup, it's just the staging area where I have been putting the supplies I've been gathering. One of the other reasons I was looking at the fostersmiths setup was that I wouldn't have to plumb anything else inline... I am going to be running 2 filters, the 405 is the main workhorse, which will house all my main media, the 105 will have just basic particle media since I will be plumbing in a Turbo Twist 9w and a ETH 200 on the output of that filter, don't really wanna try to plumb anything else inline on it.

Fluval Pimp #1
(aka Pimp Daddy Fluval)

-Edmund Burke
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-18-2008, 05:01 AM
Wannabe Guru

you do understand that the reactor that comes with the DF & S setup needs to be plumbed in line as well; I mean, whether it be a powerhead or a canister filter...Hence the hose barbs/vinyl tubing attached in the picture...I hear you on the space though. There are other options for CO2 injection...have you thought about a simple diffuser?
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-18-2008, 05:04 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Not true Coleman, take a coser look at the picture on foster smiths, theres a power head that feeds into the reactor, and btw, yes, I do want a fully auto system that will hopefully be idiot (me) proof

Fluval Pimp #1
(aka Pimp Daddy Fluval)

-Edmund Burke
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-18-2008, 05:08 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLEVEsports420 View Post
Not true Coleman, take a coser look at the picture on foster smiths, theres a power head that feeds into the reactor, and btw, yes, I do want a fully auto system that will hopefully be idiot (me) proof
yeah i saw that...I'm just saying that the reactor they're selling there is kind of a waste of money - I mean, why have that extra thing hanging on the back of your tank, and why have an extra powerhead to drive it? I think it lists for like $80 - that's a lot for a tube with some bio-balls. Use a diffuser of some sort and you'll save valuable tank space and money (not to mention get a better regulator). Have you seen the glass ADA-style diffusers? They're pretty unobtrusive...

both of the systems orlando has are automated - all you need is a controller/monitor and solenoid. Take another look, maybe?
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-18-2008, 05:15 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

hehe, honestly, I have no particular attachment to the foster smiths system.. I'm gonna try to sell off one of my more expensive LOTR statues I have, hopefully pull down around 900 bucks for it, so I can get my light http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...2&pcatid=12772, and get co2, buy a coralife digital timer powerstrip... And then call it a day cuz I will have everything needed for a high tech tank aside from ferts... PLEASE SOMEONE help me with the CO2 aspect of it..

Fluval Pimp #1
(aka Pimp Daddy Fluval)

-Edmund Burke
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-18-2008, 05:16 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLEVEsports420 View Post
Where do you paint? Inside or outside?
outside of the tank

post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-18-2008, 05:19 AM
Wannabe Guru

CO2 the only thing you need to consider is the defurer. and even that coleman suggesting the glass one is spot on. thay are vary elogent and vary effective and keep the fuss to a minimum. (some of the most amazing tanks i've seen have them). also message Orlando on this board he should be able to help you with CO2 questions and he owns green leaf so he could set you up with some stuff.

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-18-2008, 05:20 AM
Wannabe Guru

What do you need to know about CO2? I just set up my system on my 90g...I can answer most questions, at least to some extent.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-18-2008, 05:27 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I know jack squat about CO2.. I have a fair knowledge of fishkeeping, Before that tank in picture got tore down a few years ago, It had an Amazon Sword that was growing huge and healthy in basic gravel substrate, with no ferts or CO2, and a basic flourecent coralife grow lamp (not T5HO). I need to know everything about it.

Fluval Pimp #1
(aka Pimp Daddy Fluval)

-Edmund Burke

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode