Guppy breeding project - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014, 12:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Guppy breeding project

Hello Guys,

So I've got the go ahead from my parents that im allowed to set-up a guppy breeding project.
I've got some interested buyers so that's not a problem. I was wondering what the best way of setting up a small scale breeding operation. So far I have:

- 2 x 10 gallon tanks and a 5 gallon tank that I wanted to use for the breeding set-up.

I don't know weather I should keep the males and females separate if the breeding gets to out of control because im limited to only 3 tanks. How many females and Males should I get? I also only wanted to breed pure guppies rather than getting hybrids. I don't know weather I want to breed fancy tailed guppy's or Enders yet.

I would like to know basically what is the most efficient way of breeding the guppy's with my 3 tanks.

Thanks in advance to reply's!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
FISHY
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014, 01:31 PM
Wannabe Guru

Two females for every male would be a number to start. Just throw them in the tank and in a short time you'll have plenty. Whenever you think you have enough guppies, then you can separate the female. Also, the adult ones will eat the frys if you don't have enough plants or something for the frys to hide, but few will still survive.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thank you HUNTER for your advice. ill be sure to add lots of plants/ hiding spots for the fry then.

FISHY

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014, 02:00 PM
Algae Grower

And if you go with endlers you won't have to worry about them eating their young. They may still eat some but not nearly as many as guppies will.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulupica View Post
And if you go with endlers you won't have to worry about them eating their young. They may still eat some but not nearly as many as guppies will.
Oh ok. I will take that in to consideration. Is there any difference in the breeding rate of an endler or a normal guppy?

FISHY
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014, 03:01 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
I haven't bred guppies for forty + years but I do remember how beautiful show guppies were, especially the good strains.

My suggestion is to start with the very best stock you can find, every fry will then be special as will their fry and so on.....

when you have something special people come to you.

Lots of luck
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014, 03:05 PM
Pixel Prestidigitator

PTrader: (10/100%)
Are you going to keep the strain true? Couple of things to consider. If you keep harem breeding them you will lose quality. Most breeders will be selective about the breeding. Seems as though the least desirable males will impregnate the females and your quality goes down. Line breeding is good but every so often you also need to use another line to keep up quality. Harem breeding usually winds up with a bunch of feeder guppies. Culling the least desirable is mandatory to keep up the line.

Dilution is the solution for the pollution.
Quote me as saying I was misquoted.
Once you get rid of integrity the rest is a piece of cake.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014, 03:06 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

My thoughts are to separate females in one 10 gallon and males in the other 10 gallon. Then take the best of both and let them breed together in the 5 gallon. You could even put a tank divider in the 5 gallon for growing fry out and once you can sex them you can move them to the other tanks.

What kind of guppies are you planning on? A breeding project using those Petsmart and Petco guppies would be kinda long and annoying tbh. I'd get something on aquabid that you already like and start there.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014, 03:13 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuppyGuppyGuppyGuppyGuppy View Post
What kind of guppies are you planning on? A breeding project using those Petsmart and Petco guppies would be kinda long and annoying tbh. I'd get something on aquabid that you already like and start there.
My thoughts exactly, find something that actually excites you, when you are proud of your stock everything will be more fun

Although I wouldn't use Aquabid because I'd want to actually see what I'm buying. Find the best breeder in your area and contact them for buying stock.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks for the advice MeCasa. I will try to get the best quality guppy's I can get.

Thank you GraphicGr8s. I will be trying to keep a true stain to maintain the quality. I want to maintain a good strain and im willing to try and selectively breed them and dispatch the least desirable.

Thanks Guppy...Guppy. I was thinking of separating them up like you mentioned. I like Snake skin and Blue moscow's. I don't live in the US so I could'nt use Petsmart and Petco guppy's as they don't have these stores in the UK.

What Strains of guppy are easy to maintain the quality as ive not had much experience in breeding fish?

Thanks for the advice everyone!

FISHY
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014, 03:46 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeCasa View Post
Thanks. I was just looking at the website, LOL.

I really like the half black ones the most, but I also like the multicoloured one's as well.

FISHY
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014, 08:27 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
I wish you had them now. I set up my tank specifically to get Purple Moscow. I don't want to breed though.

Where else can I find them besides Aquabid?

Good luck with your project.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks Kntry.

I have a question:
Would it be easier to do a bare bottom tank for breeding and growing out the fry or should I stick with gravel or sand?

Thanks...

FISHY
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014, 12:05 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)
I used to breed endlers and gupps and I did them all barebottom so you can clean debris easier. I would split the 10 gallon into 3 gallons-ish using 2 dividers and make sure you leave enough air space so the guppies can't jump over. Each divider should have their own airstone of course through splitters to ensure plenty of oxygen.

Now you have six 3-ish gallons and a 5 gallon that you split into males and females. I would leave the babies after they are born for a few weeks until you could cull and then put them in their respective gender-based section in the 5 gallon tank. Allow the trio to reproduce again until you want to try a new trio or when your young ones are old enough to reproduce.

As you watch the fry grow, take out any sluggish, slow, deformed, poor colored fry, and toss, giveaway, or give to said dragon betta (need a small bowl for this).

The key is to cull a lot, cull often, and do not feel bad and save fry just to see if they develop good colors later on. Your lack of tanks will be your limiter.

Also buy and use lots of plants to save babies. I used to use guppy grass because they are easy. When I needed to net the fry I would just grab all the plants and put them in a bowl until I was done netting and then plopped them back into the tank.

Good luck.

Well the snail trap is not working. Maybe wrong bait. I did not have cucumber or cabbage at home so I put some banana instead but they all climb to the wall of the tank. Maybe they know it is a trap. Will try one more night and observe. This time with cucumber which is recommended. ~ CHUNTC

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode