Fluval G6 and Skimmer - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 09:22 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Fluval G6 and Skimmer

With a 75 gal. Saltwater tank, probably going with a live Reef tank, using a Fluval G6 Filter, do you also need to use a Skimmer like one of the Fluval skimmers or another brand. My main questions is do I need to use a Surface Skimmer in addition to the G6. I'm also thinking of ordering a Diatom Filter to run every so often.
Looking for someone that has experience in this area.
I've run fresh water tanks in the past and raised Discus, but I'm newly trying a Saltwater tank after several years away from the hobby.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 10:29 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Personally I would not run a tank that size with a canister filter. Start researching sumps. Check out Reefcentral.com for more saltwater advice. I have had many many salt tanks and was never please with anything but a sump layout. As you get more into reef keeping you are going to want to add a good protein skimmer. The sump will give you a place to put it. HOB protien skimmers do exist but none work very well. Also in a reef setup most will build a refugium.

It can be done with other types of filters but a sump in my opinion is the best way to go. Pus unless you already own the G6, building a sump would cost less even with buying an overflow.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014, 12:46 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)
+1 on going with a refugium sump with a reef octopus protein skimmer. I run a modified Berlin method myself.

+1 on going to reefcentral.com

Use the search button and read a lot. There is lots of great advice on there.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode