Snail related S. Infection...? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
Snail related S. Infection...?

I read a website several years ago...
The author was crushing snails against in her tank and cut her finger. Apparently, she developed a staph infection and I think went into septic shock; I think. Does anyone know who's site this was? I'm curious...I wasn't able to find it via google.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-17-2008, 02:26 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
That's quite an extreme situation!

You have to have been exposed to staph to catch it. Unfortunately, it's more common than many ppl realize. You can "carry" the bacteria and not realize it.

I personally won't set foot in one of our local hospitals b/c I know too many ppl who work there, and have had too many of my own clients develop staph after going into the hospital for other reasons (even just minor ER visits).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-17-2008, 03:17 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (72/100%)
Staph is everywhere, including on your skin, even after you washed/showered. Drug resistant staph is a different story, although it is also becoming more common in the community. It became more frequent in nursing homes, then became frequent in prisons. Now it seems very common among low-income housing residents, at least in our area.

As far as I know, there is no snail-specific Staph species that is more virulent/dangerous. If it was a Staph infection in the case your read, the person could have gotten a severe infection from stepping on a splinter. Although there are alot of different bacteria in aquariums which can cause significant illness.....

Member of PAPAS and GPASI - Pittsburgh Area Planted Aquarium Society and Greater Pittsburgh Aquarium Society

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-17-2008, 01:53 PM

PTrader: (9/100%)
I read that website just a couple of weeks ago! I have always been a finger snail crusher, reveling over the feel of their secure little homes being destroyed by my power... Well something like that. I use a chop stick since seeing that.

I doubt the writers infection was snail related, staff is always around looking for a way in.

I had a staff infection when I was a teenager on my ankle, a combination of low top shoes, poison ivy and my habit of slogging around in swamps looking for creepy crawlers almost did me in. I missed the first month of high school. Two months of IV antibiotics and three times a week of having a nurse scrub my leg with a brush taught me to be more careful where infection was concerned.

I was googleing snail predators and predatory snails when I found it. You might try something like that. Ted
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-12-2013, 12:22 AM
Plant Whisperer

PTrader: (28/100%)
I found the link to the site where the original story was uploaded but it appears the link is no longer good (http://www.jayscustomcomputers.com/wilma/). I did some sleuthing on UniQuaria's new Yahoo group site and found that Wilma Duncan was the person the infection happened to, back around 2004. She had MS so her immune system was a bit depressed and that probably contributed to the severity of the infection, though it can still happen to anyone.

I do not know if the original pictures still exist online somewhere. But I'd bet if you contacted Wilma or another person from the forum mentioned below you could find out and re-host the images.

Jan 18th 2002
Quote:
The water was not thew problem, apparently the snail meat stayed in the cut
and grew bad bacteria.
Wilma

They talked about this, but the symptoms did not meet this disease, however
I had heavy does of steroids and antibiotic IV will be given in another 4
days every 8 hours. I have multiple sclerosis and a low immune system. A few
months ago, I had come down with a bad cold and the doctor had given me a
steroid shot, this further lowered the immune system, so when I cut my
finger deep with the snail the bacteria grew fast and hit the cells in my
finger and spread up my arm to my elbow. Nasty! I will be returning to the
doctor in a few days and will mention this to her.
Wilma

Yes, just about killed me not to be able to get to my computer. I was very
lucky as things could be worse. The finger still looks terrible and the
center of the cut has turned black. The snail was one i raised and I was
told this can happen and does so, especially in fish and plant farms. Where
was all that good bacteria, I have worked so hard to have in my aquarium,
when I needed it. It was just one of those unusual things, but hope i never
do this again. Yes, there was a red streak, along with large inflamed knots
that appeared as a large rash. started on my hand and within 24 hours was at
my elbow.
Wilma
From: http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/U...s/topics/51519
The link I used to find my way to the above info was from:
http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...tml#post131705

I think her current email address is [email protected] and her website http://www.wilmasthecause.org/ I sent an email requesting the original photos, if she emails them to me I'll post them here.

Last edited by Zapins; 11-12-2013 at 12:35 AM. Reason: more info added
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-12-2013, 01:30 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
I kill snails like that

125g,75g,50g,40g,27g,10g

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode