Indifferent to either choices, just another tank to me 1 3.57%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-03-2004, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to ming Send a message via MSN to ming

The only thing I added was the plant on wood
I bought it used from someone so I didn't choose the blue gravel or anything else but I did add screw in CF from walmart though, I'm thinking I can probably get it to grow plants, but the gravel isn't as fine as flourite so choices are more limited
anybody like it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Taken down

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Taken down
10G, 2x10W PC Walmart Screw-ins Cherry Shrimp Tank
29G, 2x65W PC Coralife, Flourite Taken down

Taken down

75G, 2x54W T5, 90lbs Flourite

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-03-2004, 08:53 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
I voted that I didn't like the color of the gravel. I feel the color itself would detract from any great looking plant growth you might have. But it's all personal taste.

Personally I would toss the gravel and go with something else. If you like it stay with it. But if you don't junk it. Much easier to change it now then in a month or two.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-03-2004, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I agree, If anything, I should act now before everything settles in. But I mainly bought this tank because I need more room for some fishes which are breeding. So plant growth wasn't a priority in this tank. But it would still be nice which is why the java fern on wood was the first thing I added. It goes well anywhere!

Taken down

Taken down

Taken down

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-03-2004, 09:00 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
I voted that I didn't like it, again b/c I can't stand the color of the gravel. I would do anything to change it, even if that tank was well extablished with many plants. Of course this is my personal preference, but your asking.

Why don't you change if you are considering fluorite? Theres hardly anything in there and adding fluorite will give you greater choices and of course better plant growth. I think the fish will like it better too. .
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-03-2004, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well, I'm trying to spend less money on my aquarium. I already have my 29G tank with flourite which I get to cherish

Taken down

Taken down

Taken down

post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-03-2004, 09:36 PM

PTrader: (2/100%)
Gravel has got to go. Unless you put in a laserbeam lighthouse and a radio control submarine.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-03-2004, 09:44 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueNH
Gravel has got to go. Unless you put in a laserbeam lighthouse and a radio control submarine.
LOL. :lol:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ming
Well, I'm trying to spend less money on my aquarium. I already have my 29G tank with flourite which I get to cherish
I know fluorite is expensive ordering online (where most of us get it) but if you have a nearby petsmart, you can get it for relatively cheap. They do price matches and I was able to get it for 11.99/bag, bringing down the price from $25/bag. I just printed off the price from Big Als, cheapest online source I know.

If thats too much, Shultz aquatic plant soil - profile looks really great and is cheaper yet. $6/bag at HD.

BTW, how big is this tank?
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-03-2004, 10:12 PM

Agreed that the flourite or shultz is the way to go. If it's a money issue I would go with the aquatic soil.

Matt
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-04-2004, 01:01 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

The gravel is a little bright. But hey, it's an aquarium with plants and room for fish, I like it.

Tony
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-04-2004, 07:19 AM

Here's what I think you should do:

1. Take out all water in the tank
2. Scoot the edges in to where u have about 1/2 gap between the gravel and the glass wall.
3. Buy some black or natural gravel and poor it on top (This stuff is really cheap or you can actually find places that just small gravel type rocks for cheap)
4. This will give you a good thick bed without spending a lot of money and it will make it look like you're whole bed is made up of that gravel

The most you will probably spend on a tank that size is like 30 bucks. I have a place where you can buy regular aquarium gravel (natural) for 65 cents a lb.

Or do steps 1-4 and buy a 50 lb of sand @ homedepot. Ive use it and it works great and costed me 4 bucks @ tax. You don't care too much of it being a dedicated planted tank so this would be the best bet because that blue gravel does have to go.
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-04-2004, 08:40 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Wow, talk about a landslide on the polls, I guess I'll check this Shultz aquatic plant soil at homedepot tomorrow if I have time. Price is the biggest factor as I think I'm spending too much on this hobby even though I love it. This is a 10G tank btw.

Taken down

Taken down

Taken down

post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-04-2004, 05:34 PM

if it's a 10 gallon tank then go and buy 1 bag of fluorite (14-20 bucks) and that will be sufficient enough. Just put it over the blue gravel. Remember to scoot the gravel in so that way it will look like all your gravel is fluorite.
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-05-2004, 02:04 AM
Wannabe Guru

I would NOT pour fluorite or profile over this gravel, especially since it is just a ten gallon; one bag of either is all you need for a deep enough bed. Flourite and profile are also smaller grained than that gravel, so with time the blue gravel will work its way to the top. BTW, removing it is not hard.
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-05-2004, 02:23 AM

I second that suggestion. Just yank the blue stuff out if you are going to add something else. Rolo is right - the finer stuff will just work its way to the bottom and then you will have the nasty blue mixed with whatever you choose.
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-05-2004, 02:27 AM

yeah ofcourse its not hard removing it and you're acting as if eco-complete is sand or something.

-ming-
i would just buy 1 bag eco-complete (18 bucks), 1 50 bag of sand (3 bucks) and just use 10 lbs of it. Thats youre best bet of having a GOOD bed and saving a lot of money.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode