o2 question. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
o2 question.

So I have been setting up a new tank to go along with my 40b. The 40b is medium planted with co2 injection during the day and an airstone that comes on during the night. Well yesterday I removed the co2 to use on the new tank and inadvertently unplugged the air pump. Woke this morning to 2 dead fish and over half the others on the surface acting strange. Checked amonia nitrate and nitrite and all levels were at the lowest level. Within 10 minutes of turning on the air the remaining fish came back to normal.

I thought plants produced O2? Could it be that I have accustomed these fish to higher levels of o2 by using the air pump every night for the last year+? I do not have much surface turbulence from my canister discharge and circulation pump.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 02:09 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Someone who knows the respiratory system of plants better than me can bust/confirm this, but from what I've heard is plants kick out O2 during their photoperiod and leech traces of CO2 outside of their photo period.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|||
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|||
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 06:51 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Plants use CO2 during the day in photosynthesis, which is the process of turning it, in the presence of light and water, into sugar for energy. The by product, or "waste" of this process, is oxygen. Like (most of) all living things, plants respire ("breathe"), which is the process of using oxygen to break down complex sugars for usable energy. The waste product here is CO2.

Respiration occurs 24 hours a day, regardless of whether the plant is in light or darkness, and is always using oxygen. Photosynthesis only occurs in the light. Normally the plant uptakes much less oxygen than it produces durning the day, resulting in pearling and a net increase in the amount of oxygen in the environment (and happy fish). At night photosysnthesis stops, but respiration continues. Now the plant is using oxygen just like your fish, but not releasing any into the water. It's also not uptaking carbon dioxide, but in fact releasing it into the water. In very heavily planted tanks with a high fish load, this can result in an oxygen shortage in the morning. You can then have fish fighting for breath in poorly oxygenated water.

Hope that makes sense!

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 07:13 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Ok, so that confirms what I was saying just in a more in depth explanation. Thanks koiboi!

|||
|||

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode