New to live plants - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 03:02 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
New to live plants

I have a 36g tanganyika cichlid tank, I recently have started using live plants and love it, I'm concerned some of the plants I have purchased are not suitable for my tank. The only helpful employee I talked to told me about this forum. First I don't know if I have low,med or high lighting, I have a coral life duel lamp h/o with a color max bulb and a 6700k bulb. Second I'm assuming the
Carib Sea African Sahara Sand isn't ideal for plants so I bought liquid c02 and some other plant nutrient supplement. The ph is 8.2 and it's very hard water. I want these plants to flourish but I don't even know what I bought ..... I know stupid me but we live and learn , here's a photo of my tank please help me
With setting my tank up with plants that will thrive. It's only been three days and I have a feeling some of the plants ain't doing so well. I'm mainly concerned about the reddish plant in front

Last edited by 801boom; 06-10-2014 at 03:26 AM. Reason: More info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 02:47 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I would guess that your light level would be about medium. Have a look at this;
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=105774
A lot of folks use sand as a substrate so it can't be all bad.
The hardness of the water is only a problem with certain plants and livestock, many plants will thrive in hard water. Just be sure that your water is naturally hard and not being influenced by what is in your tank. Those rocks look like they might be limestone to me in which case your PH levels will be constantly fluctuating which is not good especially on livestock. Do a test by putting some rock in a separate jar of water and see what happens.
You have only a few plants so there will be little uptake on your nitrates and they will get more than enough CO2 naturally. But your light levels may be a bit high for that so raising the light to make it a low level of light may be best. If your liquid CO2 is Excel then you are also using an algaecide. It can be quite hard on many plants, like your vals, until they become acclimated to it.
Have you any fish in the tank? Was it cycled? There is lots of info missing for a complete picture. Also be aware that most plants do go through a period of shock on being newly planted.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve002 View Post
I would guess that your light level would be about medium. Have a look at this;
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=105774
A lot of folks use sand as a substrate so it can't be all bad.
The hardness of the water is only a problem with certain plants and livestock, many plants will thrive in hard water. Just be sure that your water is naturally hard and not being influenced by what is in your tank. Those rocks look like they might be limestone to me in which case your PH levels will be constantly fluctuating which is not good especially on livestock. Do a test by putting some rock in a separate jar of water and see what happens.
You have only a few plants so there will be little uptake on your nitrates and they will get more than enough CO2 naturally. But your light levels may be a bit high for that so raising the light to make it a low level of light may be best. If your liquid CO2 is Excel then you are also using an algaecide. It can be quite hard on many plants, like your vals, until they become acclimated to it.
Have you any fish in the tank? Was it cycled? There is lots of info missing for a complete picture. Also be aware that most plants do go through a period of shock on being newly planted.
Yes I have four African cichlids and a pleco, I was unaware the liquid c02 was harsh at first, I under dosed it just for peace of mind . My ph level are high (8.2) simply because it's the desired level for cichlids, my water conditions are perfect the rocks don't make any ph fluctuations. Thanks for the link, and info. I asked the pet shop if it was high light and she said yes and now I know it's not lol . Thanks for the info my friend

fish are friends not food

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 11:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
The thing about rocks is that they have a "normal" PH of some level. If you have 8.2 in the tank a limestone is not likely to do much to raise it. Kind of like adding black ink to black paint when it's high it's high. No big worry.
The big thought to me might be how the val will react to the Excel. It may melt. Another thought to be aware of might be that there are several types of val and some can get really too long and go to the top and try to cover the whole thing. A little late to mention but just something to let you know it is not your fault if it gets too big.
The pictures look pretty bright and that might give some trouble as algae loves it but that is a very iffy thing to decide until you see how thing shake out in your tank. Fish,plants, feeding and water changes make all tanks just a bit different.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014, 12:42 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
The thing about rocks is that they have a "normal" PH of some level. If you have 8.2 in the tank a limestone is not likely to do much to raise it. Kind of like adding black ink to black paint when it's high it's high. No big worry.
The big thought to me might be how the val will react to the Excel. It may melt. Another thought to be aware of might be that there are several types of val and some can get really too long and go to the top and try to cover the whole thing. A little late to mention but just something to let you know it is not your fault if it gets too big.
The pictures look pretty bright and that might give some trouble as algae loves it but that is a very iffy thing to decide until you see how thing shake out in your tank. Fish,plants, feeding and water changes make all tanks just a bit different.
I didn't use the full dose for the excel , I had the lights running at least ten hours but now I'm cutting it down and it has seemed a bit more lively. Or I'm hoping so at least. I don't have an algae problem either everything seems okay I should have just done some studying mYself

fish are friends not food
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014, 03:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Tanks with fish only or with plants are not short sprints. They are more like running a marathon. As long as you keep it somewhat level and don't kill things, you have time to adjust as you see the need. No obvious biggies that I see to change.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014, 04:27 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
You do have pretty high lighting for this tank setup, so you'll probably need to keep using the liquid CO2 regularlly.

Vals, Anubias, and Java ferns all tend to do quite well in hard water and are plants that often are able to stand up to cichlids.

Probably going to be some trial and error to see what plants your particular fish will leave alone. I suspect at least most stem plants won't fare well over the long haul, between their high nutrient demand and the cichlids.

Will your cichlids leave Nerite snails alone? They're the best algae eater that I can think of that might do well in this setup. And you most likely will need some algae eaters.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode