75 gal planted aquarium help! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
75 gal planted aquarium help!

First time making a real attempt at planted aquarium.

Equipment;
Standard 75 gal tank
1300 gph canister filter
9 watt uv sterilizer
4x54 watt t-5 6500k lights
Paintball co2 with solenoid on same timer as lights
120 lbs eco compete
300 watt heater

Running the lights and co2 (waiting in drop checker) at 2 bps for 8 hours daily using defuser.

Should I use my bubble stones?

Also planted heavily with java fern, Amazon sword, chain sword, micro sword, and anubias.

I have a standard pleco in there as well I have read they are no good for planted tanks but I have not seen it even touch a plant yet.

Any help or tips appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014, 08:53 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hello and welcome to the hobby.
If you are asking whether you should use your air stones with an air pump when the lights are not on and the CO2 is not running it will not hurt and will help flush the CO2 from the water by creating a fair amount of surface agitation. So yes, but many folks don't bother with them, I do as I want the air to also flush the CO2 out from under my lid.
I see no mention of ferts and if you are now running your lights and CO2 you want to start fertilizing your plants too. Here is some good reading for that. You can easily order the ferts from Ebay quite cheaply.
http://www.barrreport.com/showthread...-for-Test-Kits
http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...ing-guide.html
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014, 08:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
It looks like a reasonable setup to me. Everything does require watching until it gets fully settled in and you can feel more confident. But then there is one item which has let me down a number of times and I now try to protect myself better. The heaters are really bad about sticking in the on position where they can get to the killing point pretty quickly. A 75 is nice in that it does change temp slower but there might be something you want to check on how the heat works in your tank. You have quite a lot of light and the filter will add heat. Sometimes this is more heat than is needed when adding the recommended size heater. By plugging the heater into a cheap timer, you can set up a schedule like 4 hours on and 4 off so that it will keep the heat up but not be able to overshoot and kill the fish. Each tank will vary and it likely will take some watching and adjusting to cut the temperature swings down to a good size but it can save a tank full of fish.
A small thing that might save a big disappointment at some point later?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014, 11:54 PM Thread Starter

I have my defuser directly under my return hose from the filter. The defuser is at the bottom of the tank. am I just forcing the co2 out? Wish I knew how to post a pic or I would post one.

Basically their is about 18 inches in between the 2 parts but the return nozzle is pointed up to break the surface tension for oxygen.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 10:21 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Where is your co2 level at 2bps? I also have a 75g and I'm pumping in the co2 like a mad man (6-8bps, too much to count) and still haven't found the sweet spot.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 03:17 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I like to have a powerhead somewhere near the point where the CO2 enters so that it is pushed around near the bottom of the tank rather than going straight upward. I would not think that would be nearly enough CO2 to get you full value. My bubble stream is too fast to count but then a lot depends on how much actually stays in and how much is lost. The bubbles will only show that some is going in. The bigger question is how much is staying.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 05:16 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
www.photobucket.com is what I use to host pics, and then link them over onto the forum.

You want lots of surface MOVEMENT, but you don't want to actually break the surface of the water if you don't want to outgas your CO2.

I would get a drop checker with a calibrated 4dkH solution to better monitor your CO2 levels.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode