shrimp and kuhli loach found in canister filter, need help to prevent this. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
shrimp and kuhli loach found in canister filter, need help to prevent this.

if i put a sponge on pantyhose over top of the filter intake thing, isn't that going to prevent proper filtration?

what can be done to stop my smaller pets from getting sucked up but yet still allow for proper filtration of my fish bio and debris?!

75 Gallon Low Tech w/ Green Terror Pair
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014, 06:30 PM
Algae Grower

no if you got to jehmico.com the sell prefilters
as you do have to clean the sponge i have used on mag 250 up to fluval fx5
with no reduction in flow
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014, 06:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
If sponge is a concern, you can get a coarse SS mesh prefilter. A couple of people on here sell them or you can look around online.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014, 06:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
For canister intakes where intake tube is round, I like the "Filtermax prefilter's"
They fit perfectly over Aquaclear intakes and for Eheim's I just use the sponge minus the plastic elbows.
Any material over the intake will slow the flow as it get's dirty so weekly cleaning I think produces best result's.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

ok i went out and bought a coarse kind of prefilter to go around the intake.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014, 08:03 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)
Eheims prefilter is pretty snazzy too, I know you just picked up one up, but if you are ever looking for something different I really enjoy the eheim one. also prolongs the time between filter cleanings.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014, 08:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
you won't ever be able to completely stop the shrimp from getting in the canister, but a sponge or prefilter of some sort will prevent you kuhli from getting in again.

Will

on Facebook.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

i guess its not the end of the world if shrimp get in. I haven't seen any dead ones. but jeez some of them were like tiny dots... like new borns. no way in hell i was able to get all them out. i wasn't about to pour gross filter water back into the tank.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014, 11:57 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by philipraposo1982 View Post
no way in hell i was able to get all them out. i wasn't about to pour gross filter water back into the tank.
So......... you killed all the baby shrimps???
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 01:34 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (28/100%)
H4N sells stainless steel prefilters, I am going to get some for my shrimp tank when it is up and running. You should check out him out. He is not a vendor here so he has an actual section.

His section: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/fo...play.php?f=226
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 02:07 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
I buy cheap medium coarse black foam (black substrate in these tanks) and just cut it to fit over intakes like a sleeve (also have sponges on outtakes of betta based tanks to defuse flow a little), they will eventually clog/slow flow with mulm so I just take off and clean off the sponge cover with each water change. I do mine for the betta and otos I have, ...and the snails and black worms that 'live' in the dwarf puffer tank so they don't get sucked into the filter before they become dinner. I use nano sponge filter for my shrimp tanks so no issues for them getting sucked in anything.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.
Starting to update these threads

~
~
~
~
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 09:37 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by philipraposo1982 View Post
i guess its not the end of the world if shrimp get in. I haven't seen any dead ones. but jeez some of them were like tiny dots... like new borns. no way in hell i was able to get all them out. i wasn't about to pour gross filter water back into the tank.

I find baby shrimp in the Eheim canister's after draining the water from the filter into a three gallon bucket.
I either net them out ,or pour old water from bucket through a net and into another bucket.
Shrimp's caught in the net are quickly plopped back into the tank.
I still lose a few shrimps caught in ceramic media but manage to save quite a few this way.
I actually stopped using the prefilters cause I was getting lazy about keeping them clean.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode