Need some advice balancing my sump flow. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Need some advice balancing my sump flow.

I have a 55g tank that I e recently made a 10g sump for. I have 4 glass baffles in it, and it's fed with a 3/4" PVC siphon and the return is a rio 1100 pump rated at I believe 600gph. I have a valve on both the inlet and return to so can adjust the flow. I also drilled a small home right under the top tanks water level to break the siphon should the pump fail or there is a power loss. I'm guessing to balance the flow I should remove water from the top tank first and the open up in the intake valve to the pump and adjust as necassary to keep the right level of water in the sump. The. I guess after that water level is set I can too off the 55? My concerns are what if the intake to the sump clogs or flow gets restricted some how like the filter media begins to get too dirty and flow is restricted, wouldn't that mean the balance e would be off and I risk flooding the top tank?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014, 02:53 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
I have done the same as you with my 55. I will show u what I did. First I think you will have nothing but trouble with the 3/4. I run 2" I started with 1" and had nothing but trouble. Would not keep a siphon. Until I switched to the 2" I had a few problems with over flow. Also learned if you don't keep your pump clean sump can over flow.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I don't have any issues with keeping a siphon, just balancing the sump flow in and out. I might order a glass drill bit and ditch the siphon setup and do an actual overflow just so I don't have to worry about the siphon. I;ve also read its easier to balance when the tank is drilled at the top for an overflow.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014, 04:27 PM
Planted Member

How long have you been running the sump? Eventually build up in the tube will cause siphon problems. Tempered glass can be tricky to drill. Only way is to keep overflow valve full open and slow pump down by keeping pump valve partly closed. Drilled or not too small of an overflow makes it hard to balance.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I'm saying the hell with it and buying a Sun Sun canister filter. Too much of a PITA and risk of flooding the floor.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 12:13 AM
Algae Grower

If you change your mind, look at glass-holes.com - they make excellent overflow setups for through-the-back overflows.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I ordered a Sun Sun canister from Amazon with UV light for 80 bucks. The sump just makes me nervous. I might use the 10g I bought for the sump and the glass tank baffles as dividers for fry now.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode