What do you think about moving plants from one tank to the next if you have clado? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)
What do you think about moving plants from one tank to the next if you have clado?

Well here is the scoop. I am about to tear down my main tank. I thought I had eradicated clado with 2 weeks of 6 x excel dosage but I was wrong. I have very little and it isnt doing much since it is a lowtech. I am about to break the tank down and start over but I would hate to loose my pygmy chain sword 'micro', ludwigia 'x', and sunset hygro. I am not sure how long these plants can take a 20:1 bleach dip and I know through experimentation that clado needs to sit in the dip for atleast a minute and 15 seconds to die.

My question is:

Should I risk even contaminationg my new set up to save my plants (not worried about the anubias, two minute bleach dips rock), or should I just muck em and buy new ones?

Peace,
Ry

I raise my sword in the air in the battle against clado. I have been beaten in this battle but the war is not over. As my wounds heal I amass another army, an army with many legs, an army of Amano's......

I thrust my tridant into the mass of medusa like staghorn. I am wounded but I refuse to take a knee.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 07:18 PM
Fear the Swamp!

PTrader: (176/100%)
Personally, I always toss the infected plants out. I moved plants in the past after I thought I eradicated the algae. It didn't take long in the new tank before I saw it re-emerge. If the plants are common (and most are here in SNS), I just pick up some new ones.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 08:30 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (40/98%)
I always advise against a bleach dip and would never do one personally. It's rare that you'll meet anyone that had done a bleach dip and reports a good experience.

I recommend a diluted Excel spray. I had the slightest amount of clado forming in one corner in my tank where it wasn't getting much flow. I increased co2, increased flow, and sprayed the clado down with a 3:1 dilution of Excel...disappeared.

In fact, whenever dealing with any algae, 3:1 spray of Excel always does the trick for me.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 10:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
i report multiple excellent experiences with bleach dips.

i have used it with good results on anubias, ferns, and a few stems. it really helped with my BBA outbreak a few years back.

My Tanks:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmhart View Post
I always advise against a bleach dip and would never do one personally. It's rare that you'll meet anyone that had done a bleach dip and reports a good experience.

I recommend a diluted Excel spray. I had the slightest amount of clado forming in one corner in my tank where it wasn't getting much flow. I increased co2, increased flow, and sprayed the clado down with a 3:1 dilution of Excel...disappeared.

In fact, whenever dealing with any algae, 3:1 spray of Excel always does the trick for me.
Many people in here do bleach dips. I have been doing them for almost three years now and only lost plants in the beginning before I knew what I was doing. Anubias are rock solid when it comes to bleach dips, and I usually dip them for 2 minutes without any problems. A 3:1 excel treatment I have never dont though. I am sure it will kill most algaes but clado is a different beast.

Peace,
Ry

I raise my sword in the air in the battle against clado. I have been beaten in this battle but the war is not over. As my wounds heal I amass another army, an army with many legs, an army of Amano's......

I thrust my tridant into the mass of medusa like staghorn. I am wounded but I refuse to take a knee.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 11:44 PM
Gar

PTrader: (6/100%)
What is clado, exactly?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode