Salt water dip - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 04:20 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/98%)
Salt water dip

I set up some tanks in the bio labs of my college. They were for the zebra breeding genetics lab. That was long done so we stared to add plants and make it a nice tank for all the baby zebra fishes. Also so that we can use it for next year.

But then I noticed leeches! then hydras! Dang they never leave me alone. Last time I had it, I had to do a complete tank tear down at home. I suspect it was from some plants I bought or from some of the blackworms I bought for the first time in almost 7 years.

Regardless of where they came from its combat time! I'm gonna transfer all the fishes to a bare tank where I had it set up for a while for frog eggs that are coming soon. I'm gonna take out the gravel and dry it out. But the plants, thats the big thing.

I've asked the chem department for some pottasium pergementa but they are out since school is finished. I stay because I have research to do. So I thought about doing a salt water dip for the plants. For leeches and hydra, I think they will die or fall off fast due to the salt but is this fesible for plants?

Would the salt kill the plants? Has anyone every tried this and if so, what how much salt and killing time did u use?

I'm not a doctor in real life but I play one on this forum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 04:35 AM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
plants can handle salt dips...

Look around the college for round worm dewormers.. It might handle the leeches for the whole tank.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 04:38 AM

PTrader: (-1/0%)
Panacur can supposedly be used and can be found at better pet/farm supply stores, I dont see it hurting anything especially since the fishes are going to be removed during treatment, but you might want to double check!

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 05:54 AM
Algae is over rated

PTrader: (11/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justbeginningfish View Post
Panacur can supposedly be used and can be found at better pet/farm supply stores, I dont see it hurting anything especially since the fishes are going to be removed during treatment, but you might want to double check!
Panacur,taken orally, is for internal parasites in animals,namely worms.

How in the world can this be applied to plants?

'Classic' EHFIPIMP #275
V/P # 5
VTS253A-1993
The first effect of a disaster is to spread a deeper gloom than is due the occasion.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
plants can handle salt dips...

Thats good to know. But how much salt is enough and for how long?

In the mean time, I'm asking the departments for some kind of dewormer. But I doubt it. Unless I know the name or compond, we can either order it or make some.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 12:50 AM

PTrader: (-1/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lescarpentier View Post
Panacur,taken orally, is for internal parasites in animals,namely worms.

How in the world can this be applied to plants?
Well it was suggested he look for dewormer, which is what panacur is.

I actually just had a conversation with a friend who got leeches in her tank after using locally harvested something or other from a pond.

it comes in little powder packets that can apparently be sprinkled into the water and the plants dipped in it to kill the snails and leeches and their eggs.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-31-2008, 03:33 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Sorry for the delay but salt water dip is gift from the heavens. lol

It was great! I removed any snails and limperts I had from the plants. I think the leeches mostly hide in the substrate though. I didn't find any leeches on the plants. I did find a leech and tested it to see how it would work. It fell off the plant and slowly died.

So I would recomend it espeically to get rid of any snails.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-31-2008, 10:16 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
How long did you dip the plants? Also what type of salt did you use?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-31-2008, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

It depends on the plant. For some soft plants like vals and pellia, about a minute or so. I dip them back in water and dip them in salt later.

But other plants like rotalas and others, I tried for 15 minutes and no problems yet.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode