Petsmart National Geo-graphic - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Petsmart National Geo-graphic

How are some of their products i have seem them online and at the stores? are they crappy or a nice quality?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014, 01:11 AM
Algae Grower

Too expensive, just a novelty due to name. You can get much better for cheaper.

Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014, 04:23 AM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via Skype™ to Kitsune_Gem
I have one of the reptile cages, honestly it's really nice, the screen top is much much nicer then most of the other reptile cages. I also have a few decorations for the reptiles and they are nicely made.

I got some of the diet they sell for my rats and it's a huge hit. I haven't gotten any of the fish stuff as I have a 30 gallon limit at my apartment.

"And 5, very important 5... Don't let me eat pears.. I HATE PEARS."

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014, 05:37 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
Yeah we make fun of them a lot at work. They're pretty crappy and overpriced. Kits like those sold at petco or petsmart are generally not as good as tanks that you piece together yourself.

Go Blue
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014, 07:16 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/100%)
I've never bought anything of theirs, but whenever I look at those products, I think "cheap, keep away, do not touch" and stuff like that. It looks like it was just relabeled items.

Software Developer~ |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014, 10:37 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Some of the filters and powerheads are made by eheim, they are not that bad. The fish food is made by omega one, not bad either

Regards from Nadine
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

----------------------------------------------------------

l
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

What about the gravel and lights
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014, 03:38 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Friend of mine got one of the LEDs, said he couldn't even see the bottom of his tank so took it back, got a Finnex and loves that.

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014, 04:26 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (28/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraleellbp View Post
Friend of mine got one of the LEDs, said he couldn't even see the bottom of his tank so took it back, got a Finnex and loves that.

I have read the same there here several times about the LEDs they are really under powered, I went the looked at one while I was in the store and it didn't even look like it would have enough LEDs to grow anything. I have also seen a lot more people having problems with their Finnex lights and nothing being able to resolve the issue with Finnex and just have to buy a replacement.

Out of everything Nat Geo had in my local store, if I remember correctly the best thing seemed to be the food. I make my own custom flake blend, but whenever I see a new fish food on the market I've never seen I always gotta check out what in it, you would be surprised what in some of those products that you think are good quality. So of the plastic decorations were cool too, history themed.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014, 04:30 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

what about the gravel and sands
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014, 04:42 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (28/100%)
Petsmart National Geo-graphic

I would imagine they would work fine, sand is sand usually unless you are trying for a certain color or a specific natural sand. You can use any gravel you like. The most thing people look at first when it comes to rocks and regular sand is the price. If it's affordable and you like it I don't think you'd have any problems with them. The main thing for planted aquariums is a substrate with nutrients that's what we look for, but rocks and sand anything that looks good to you is fine. (Excluding dyed sands and rocks)
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014, 08:56 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hi:

I like the National Geographic line at Petsmart. For one, it benefits animal conservation. Two, it has been on sale for over one month.

I have a 15.8 gallon and a 2.5 gallon National Geographic tank.

I like them both. People say the filter in the 2.5 gallon is overpowered, but I STRONGLY disagree. The little betta in that tank is quite happy and it doesn't blow the plants at all. I don't know what those people are doing with the filter, but I had no issue. The only thing the filter did was pull some over some loose pearl weed, but hey, it wasn't really rooted anyway.

Sand is sand. I used the National Geographic black sand in both tanks. It actually cleaned really easy. I didn't even clean it well to be honest because I was tired. I just basically rinsed it a couple of times and I didn't even really get that much cloudy water. I plan to buy National Geographic sand from now on, because I hardly cleaned it and it did not create a large cloudy mess.

On both of the hood leds that came with the tank, I can see the bottom of the tank. :-) I do not know about the separate ones. However, my plants are growing quite exponentially. Some are out of the tank. Therefore, I feel the lighting is sufficient for the needs of my low-tech tank. This is the lighting though that is under the hood of the tank (36 leds on the 15.6 gallon tank).

I think the LED touch sensor is nice for lighting. The filter that came with my 15.8 gallon was not too fabs. I went and bout an Aqueon more powerful filter (sized for a bigger tank actually). The heater works well.

In the 2.5 betta tank, I purchased a National Geographic submersible compact heater (again sale + coupons). It also works well. I mean, it heats the water. I think that is what I want a heater to do. The little betta seems happy and warm.

Therefore, I have purchased two tanks (on sale, with coupons), a compact heater, and sand. I like them all and intend to buy the sand from now on as long as I am using sand. That's it.

dbw27
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 11:34 PM

I purchased the 48" led fixture with built in timer and I like it so far, though I am fixing to put a dual T5 HO fixture on it as well. It's on my 110g tank and I can see the bottom great, and my dwarf hairgrass is growing well so far. Just the led's for now.

I'm adding the T5 HO just to have a 5 hour period of very strong lighting.

I'm a newb though so my endorsement means nothing.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 11:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (40/100%)
I've heard and had friends say the lights crapped out less than an hour in, the touch sensors won't work, the canister filters had leaks. In general they didn't do any testing before they released it and made a rush release. The only things that are remotely worth the money are the rebranded eheim internal filters and power heads. Some of the reptile food at my local store has fermented causing the bag to expand and in one case literally explode. Shame

must....have.....more....moss n shrimp!!!!!!!!!!

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014, 03:50 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I have had these tanks for a while and the light sensors have not crapped out.

dbw

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode