Adding plants in established tank? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Adding plants in established tank?

Would it be okay to add plants like (HC) into a tank that is already stocked with fish and/or shrimp?

My concern is that my tank is a 12" cube and its small water volume may make it more susceptible to any ammonia released from the aqua soil that would be disturbed during the planting process. If this becomes an issue, then I'm afraid that any fish and/or shrimp may die..

*I do not own a second tank for shrimp/fish to reside until the main tank is stabilized.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014, 11:17 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
Its absolutely okay to add plants to your tank. In fact its recommended. If the tank is established then the ammonia from the aqua soil should be long gone. If your worried plant the HC wait an hour or so then test for ammonia and do a water change if necessary.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014, 11:35 AM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (123/100%)
There is not an incredible amount of substrate disturbance planting HC. I agree w/greaser.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the help! Being that it's my first time with a tank, I wanted to make sure that I wouldn't risk killing any shrimp or fish.

How do you know if your tank is well established? I have had a bunch of plants for 2-3 weeks now and they pearl every day, I have a few snails and a bunch of Copepods. Can I assume that my tank is established just by these qualitative observations?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014, 01:00 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by h3dgehog View Post
Thanks for the help! Being that it's my first time with a tank, I wanted to make sure that I wouldn't risk killing any shrimp or fish.

How do you know if your tank is well established? I have had a bunch of plants for 2-3 weeks now and they pearl every day, I have a few snails and a bunch of Copepods. Can I assume that my tank is established just by these qualitative observations?
An established tank is a tank that has completed its nitrogen cycle, the water parameters have stabilized and the plants have begun to root and grow. For some people its a couple weeks for others its a month or two or longer. There really isn't a certain time limit for a tank to become established, every tank is different. How old is the tank? What are your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate readings? You can't rely on the plants pearling everyday, I've started tanks and added plants that day and they'll pearl within a few hours, it doesn't mean the tank was established though. Pearling is when the water is so saturated with oxygen it can't dissolve anymore and it will began to bubble up under the leaves of plants.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I haven't done mUch testing as of late but the tank has been filled with water for 4-6 weeks with the most recent three weeks including plants. I wanted to see if simple observations will be sufficient enough to know if it's established. For instance, almost all my stemmed plants are shooting roots down and there has been random green sprouts shooting out of the soil.

My initial assumption was that this is a "good enough" indicator of an established tank. Maybe not. Let me know what you think.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014, 01:41 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Although your tank is cycled, it's fairly new. I would say 6-12 months to classified as an established tank, but you don't have to wait that long to make any additional planting or adding more fish as long as your tank is keeping up with nitrogen cycle. Whenever you seriously disturb the substrate by planting or rescape, its always a good idea to test for ammonia/nitrite/nitrate just to be sure. Also, it's best to do water changes whenever you plant or scape to remove the excess waste that's been exposed.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014, 02:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Basing the whole thing on a new tank that just had the gravel or whatever substrate put into it and water and the cycled, I would call it estabilshed after I had tested it for
nitrates and found the cycle had completed. Plants or no plants, decorations etc or none. I just would base the established statement on if the cycle was finished.
Now mature...a year or so.
I'll support the first reply by greaser84 as a good sound answer to the new plant question. Try to remember that plants use ammonia. A test for it after an hr or so
would be best for the fishes benefit though.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode