How to transport a tank for contest? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014, 04:57 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question How to transport a tank for contest?

I'm kind of a big deal ... in my own mind.

I was asked it I would like to enter one of my tanks in LFS planted tank contest. I signed up and left the shop pretty proud of myself. Then it hit me: How the hell and I going to get a tank all the way across town?! I decided that the 10G at work would be the choice. I figure I have pull some of the water out of it. I'm not sure what to do with fish or really anything else...

I'm sure there are some of you that have moved tanks before, any pointers?

Father of the Princess Zelda.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014, 05:04 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (28/100%)
Did you get and read the rules? Some of the bigger planted tank contests you have to set up the aquarium on site so they know you aren't cheating by having Mr Amano fly in and do your aquascape. I have only been to one aquascaping event that was local, and at that event each person was given the same plants and the same size aquarium to do their scape, but they had over night I believe to get it all worked out and get the water clear. But a friend of mine does these contests pretty often and he says the kind he prefers you bring your own plants and aquarium and set up on site.

If this is not the case then you will want to almost completely drain the aquarium, then cover with some plastic wrap to keep it humid so nothing drys out and dies on route, depending on how far you have to travel, or traffic ( on a business trip in baltimore and traffic is #%^&ing insane ) you may want to take a spray bottle filled with tank water to mist them in route.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 01:25 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Its not that kind of a contest. I think it would be best described as "Tank showing off".

I have 13 Chili Rasbora and 8 Albino Dwarf Cory Cats in the tank, and am worried about moving them. The plant life and driftwood make in near impossible to extract them form the tank without destroying it.

Should I just lower the water and hope the fish don't freak out too much...

Father of the Princess Zelda.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 01:30 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (28/100%)
So you can build a fish trap and catch you fish over time, or you can leave them in there and try and keep some water in there and drive carefully. You will want to avoid as much sloshing as possible. The fish trap would only work for one trip, because once you add them to the tank at the show you will have to either wait for them to swim into the baited trap, net them or just try and transport them to the show.

Tags
contest, move, tank

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode