is this fixture low , med, or high light - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-07-2014, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
is this fixture low , med, or high light

I have an aquatic life t5 ho fixture with one 54 watt 6700 k bulb and one 54 watt 650nm rosate bulb. 108 watts total The actual lights are sitting 20 inches above the substrate. this is a 55gallon tank Is this considered low , med , or high light. This is a moderately planted tank.

Last edited by rick dale; 01-11-2015 at 06:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-07-2014, 06:57 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick dale View Post
I have an aquatic life t5 ho fixture with one 54 watt 6700 k bulb and one 54 watt 650nm rosate bulb. 108 watts total The actual lights are sitting 20 inches above the substrate. this is a 55gallon tank Is this considered low , med , or high light. This is a moderately planted tank.
i do also have this same light but with two 6700 bulbs. i would love to see what other people think of it
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-07-2014, 07:32 PM
Algae Grower

Send a message via Skype™ to anubis
I believe that would be medium light tank verging into the high tech zone dont listen to me tho I am just a newbie

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-07-2014, 09:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
According to a mix of the T5 chart on this link and a bit of "figuring"... because the two bulb fixture is not on there and you need to read the "Low, Med, High light" part which list the numbers for each category.
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=184368
I will venture a guess @ 65-75 PAR @ 20"(notice I'm giving myself a rather large window) which is IMO at the very bottom of the high level.
The high level almost has no top end(250 is the highest I've seen listed) while the med level is only 15 from bottom to top 35-50 so IMO the top of med should be near 65-75.
But then it's just my opinion on that part.
Your bulb set up is identicle to mine but I just use the True Lumen 6700 "Flora" bulb
and I use the aquaticlife Roseated 650nm bulb. That True Lumen Flora is awesome for natural looking color in the tank without glair. Don't understand how any bulb can be that much better than other brands of bulbs and not be know by everyone by word of mouth.
I have a different brand of fixture @ 12" above and that chart doesn't list what the level would be under 15" at which it says 100 PAR(guess they didn't think anyone would be dumb enough to put a dual bulb T5 in a 10g tank) and (no-really) I do have algae. I use my own version of EI/low light weekly(reduced level) and Excel @ 2x recommended doses.
I might suggest you put one or two in each end in front of the heaters(don't mix just put one kind in each corner) a water Sprite and a water Wisteria. Or you might try this in one end as it gets fairly big.
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/my...dagascariensis
And there appears to be two cavities in the left piece of wood(dark places in the picture) and a piece of this in the top one would slowly spread.
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/my...idens_fontanus
And BTW a Crypt Wendtii "Bronz" would give it a different color without turning it into a circus of red.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014, 03:44 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

lighting

Thanks for the detailed help Raymond. That really helps. Even though I don't know my actual par reading , I am now confident enough to say I am in the upper medium to lower high lighting with this fixture. One more question. If I keep this light at the 20 inches , can I do it with out c02.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014, 05:11 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
My tank is essoteric(spelin is not my best subject...LOL) to the point that I wouldn't dare use it as a reference here about having/not having algae...but I don't need to clean my glass for up to a month at a time with two T5 bulbs @ 12" and I only use Excel. I have siliconed rocks/gravel on the back to give "things" a place to cling to
and as such it acts like an algae scrubber just without the air bubbles going up the front of it like the real ones do have. There is also Cladophora everywhere in there.
But according to that chart(the T5) I have 100 PAR. So with only 65-75 you should be OK especially after more plant growth is consistant. And BTW the suggestions of water Sprite and Wisteria are just for that purpose of helping that as fast growing type plants help the most for that.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode