is the python water changer safe ? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-07-2014, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
is the python water changer safe ?

When using the python to refill your tank during a partial water change , you are adding untreated water. What's up with this? Do you add conditioner before you backfill , during , after or not at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-07-2014, 04:07 PM
Algae Grower

I've seen people adding the conditionner right after the refill with python. I personnally wouldn't do it on my small 12 gallon tank, on larger tanks I guess it's fine.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-07-2014, 04:12 PM
Algae Grower

python

i have used a python for years never an issue on tanks from 20 to 150 gal
i just dose some prime before i refill or dechlor

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-07-2014, 04:14 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
I don't do this, but I've heard that you should dose dechlor. or prime for the whole tank volume, then refill with python
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-07-2014, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

python

That's what I thought. I also use prime. I guess just get the temp coming from the faucett as close as possible ?
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-07-2014, 04:19 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
That's what I "try" to do when refilling my bucket
One of my hands feels water WAY warmer than the other lol
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-07-2014, 06:37 PM
Algae Grower

I always use the python in my 15 and 30 gallon and never had a problem. I add some prime while the tank is being filled, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-07-2014, 06:42 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Use it on multiple tanks, I declor before and after if it's anything over 50%, but declor full tank before is what's standard.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-07-2014, 06:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (94/100%)
I use it to refill my 55 and have added the dose for the tank before refilling and I've never had a problem or any deaths after water changes.

I do use it to empty all of my tanks but usually only use it to fill my 55 since I make water for the other tanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
(Defunct) |
|
|

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-07-2014, 07:05 PM
Algae Grower

I add my dechlor before adding in the new water. I figure it'll take care of things as soon as the water comes out of the tube into the tank.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-07-2014, 08:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

When I am doing a larger water change, such as a continuous drain and fill I dose dechlor into the incoming stream, measured to match the amount of water coming in. So every 5 minutes I might dose for 20 gallons. This way no matter how much I remove (siphoned out to the garden) the incoming water has some chance of being treated.

At the end, when I am no longer draining I will give it one last dose, equal to about half the tank, just in case I was not quite on top of the dosing through the procedure.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014, 07:28 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (28/100%)
I never added straight tap water to my aquarium when I used the Petsmart version of the python. I used it to help empty the tank, and to pump water to where the tank is located, but into a bucket so I could treat the water, then give it a good mix and pump it into the aquarium using a water pump. I got lazy 5 years ago and bought a cheap-o water pump for water changes and have never looked back. Now I do all my water changes and never lift a single gallon of water. Now I have a little more expensive pump that is much faster, but still takes it a while to pump the water 100+ feet.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014, 07:30 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
I get really paranoid so I usually put half prior to refilling (then immediately filling) then putting the other half after I fill up the tank. I'm thinking it's doing half and half and hopefully I have better luck!
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014, 07:36 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (28/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisinator View Post
I get really paranoid so I usually put half prior to refilling (then immediately filling) then putting the other half after I fill up the tank. I'm thinking it's doing half and half and hopefully I have better luck!

Always better safe than sorry, I've had many a fish die since my first aquarium when I was six and it always sucks! I couldn't imagine losing an entire tank at once, so I'm like you, kinda paranoid lol. I even use a flashlight and check on my fish during their "night" period!!
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014, 12:59 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquarist View Post
I never added straight tap water to my aquarium when I used the Petsmart version of the python. I used it to help empty the tank, and to pump water to where the tank is located, but into a bucket so I could treat the water, then give it a good mix and pump it into the aquarium using a water pump. I got lazy 5 years ago and bought a cheap-o water pump for water changes and have never looked back. Now I do all my water changes and never lift a single gallon of water. Now I have a little more expensive pump that is much faster, but still takes it a while to pump the water 100+ feet.
I also use a pump to replace water but I've been carrying the buckets. This is a great idea. I've been thinking of buying a python but was leery of the whole chlorine treatment thing. Thanks.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode