Moss carpet? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
Moss carpet?

I was thinking that a moss carpet would look pretty cool? does nay one have pictures of this? What a good moss to use?

I think I'm a noob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 07:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via MSN to James From Cali Send a message via Yahoo to James From Cali
No pictures but I think Flame Moss would be a nice moss to use for this idea. IMO it grows a little more quicker than Java Moss.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 07:52 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
I wouldn't do a moss carpet necessarily, it would probably look too messy. BUT if it was in a corner or in one area it might not look that bad if you could make it flow.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 09:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (62/100%)
Send a message via AIM to eyebeatbadgers
If you do a search for moss wall, then turn your head sideways, you'll get an idea of what it might look like.

Flame moss would be ideal. Taiwan/Christmas moss would probably work ok.

Moss does harbor lots of crap that settles in the tank, even when not covering the bottom of the tank. Keeping it clean and attractive would prove difficult I'd think.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 10:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (62/100%)
Send a message via AIM to eyebeatbadgers
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ph...oundaries.html

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-14-2008, 12:22 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyebeatbadgers View Post
If you do a search for moss wall, then turn your head sideways, you'll get an idea of what it might look like.

Flame moss would be ideal. Taiwan/Christmas moss would probably work ok.

Moss does harbor lots of crap that settles in the tank, even when not covering the bottom of the tank. Keeping it clean and attractive would prove difficult I'd think.
LOL I like the "turn your head sideways" suggestion

Shrimp are pretty good at keeping moss nice and clean... takes quite a few shrimp, however.

James I'm jealous that your flame moss does better than java- I like flame sooo much better, but java moss always just takes over any tank I've ever put it in

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-14-2008, 12:27 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via MSN to James From Cali Send a message via Yahoo to James From Cali
I just realized that it starting to look like flame moss instead of the pressed against the wood moss thatI started wih. It does collect alot of debris and I been getting lazy with school and my birthday this saturday that I havent got to cleaning it. I want to do a carpet with it eventually but not using mesh. I want to create one of those hilly atmospheres at the side of the tank that leads throughout the mid ground from the frontground. Using small to medum to large sized rocks to accomplish this and then having a sand foreground(maybe with a lobelia species or something in front of the larger rocks). Just a shrimp tank plan lolz.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-14-2008, 12:47 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (31/100%)
i have a java moss tied onto a piece of flat mopani driftwood that i use kind of like a carpet. For me, cleaning it is pretty easy, i just take a turkey baster and squirt it in the java moss.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-14-2008, 01:47 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (208/100%)
I've used Java and Taiwan moss as foreground carpets to good effect in shrimp tanks. Laurel is right - LOTS of shrimp keep it clean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James From Cali View Post
Flame Moss...grows a little more quicker than Java Moss.
Are you sure you have flame moss?!? Based on my experience, I'd say it grows 1/2-1/4 as fast as any 'normal' moss like Java/Taiwan/Peacock...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode