almost lost my fish and lost some shrimp due to diy co2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-06-2014, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
almost lost my fish and lost some shrimp due to diy co2

So much for it being nearly impossible to gas your tank with diy co2.
Im not sure what happened, I think the temperature spiked in the room(no ac on last night)which led to an increase in the bacteria activity. I woke up to a cloud of co2 bubbles in the tank and all my shrimp on their side acting like theyre drunk.
How hard is it to rig up one co2 tank to 5 tanks? do i just tee off and use a valve on each tank?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-06-2014, 10:21 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
did u have any surface agitation?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-06-2014, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

i did but obviously not enough. i have the output on my evolve 4 pointed up and the back has a slight trickle to the next chamber.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-07-2014, 01:20 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
It should never be said (or thought) that any method of CO2 use won't gas your animals. It has nothing to do with the method and everything to do with attention to detail and monitoring your tank. CO2 isn't something you setup as a one size fits all or, or a set it and forget. It requires tuning. On tank as small as you are mentioning, you need have as much control as possible, and probably not run it at night. I don't know if by DIY you are referencing yeast method or pressurized as some will call both DIY.

Anyway, bummer...accidents happen.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-07-2014, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

yeah yeast based.
i have valves on each tank and all fine tuned to a bubble per second into the pump. im not sure why it suddenly went hay wire. i bought an air pump and stones to run in the back to add more surface agitation 24/7.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-07-2014, 08:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I put a tee in the line and make sure the 2 tubes leading to each tank are the same length and have the same sort of diffuser, and are under the same depth of water.
I suppose a valve on each would be more sure of equal distribution.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 02:20 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Do you have a lid on your tank? If so how well is it "sealed"? If you close your tank to outside air then the CO2 levels can get very high even with surface agitation.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 02:44 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_ranger View Post
So much for it being nearly impossible to gas your tank with diy co2.
Who told you that? Because, it was a lie. In fact, I will say that if you are doing diy co2, you will gas your tank. Period.

Anyone that told you that you can not gas your fish with DIY co2 is lying to you. It will happen to everyone. That is the reason they sell 200 dollar pressurized systems.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 04:13 PM
Algae Grower

I've seen that statement in a number of places on the internet. When it comes up, the author/poster is usually commenting on the inefficiency of diffusing co2 into the water as well as the inconsistent co2 production you can get. i.e. they tend to be biased towards pressurized over diy.

Having said that, diy co2 works quite well for me. I'm using a 3 bottle system and regularly rotating them. I've got a limewood diffuser that makes nice tiny bubbles. The plants are very happy. My pH has dropped about a point since switching from excel to diy. I haven't had any problems with my fish, but it's something I regularly watch.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 05:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Me think's for smaller tank's that DIY CO2 is better distributed than in larger tanks.
Also think that without a way to shut off the CO2 at night, that O2 level's may drop to uncomfortable level's for fishes due to plant's taking up available O2 when light's are off and CO2 being dispersed when plant's aren't using it.
Not as big of an issue during the day when plant's are producing O2.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 06:59 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumble69 View Post
I've seen that statement in a number of places on the internet. When it comes up, the author/poster is usually commenting on the inefficiency of diffusing co2 into the water as well as the inconsistent co2 production you can get. i.e. they tend to be biased towards pressurized over diy.

Having said that, diy co2 works quite well for me. I'm using a 3 bottle system and regularly rotating them. I've got a limewood diffuser that makes nice tiny bubbles. The plants are very happy. My pH has dropped about a point since switching from excel to diy. I haven't had any problems with my fish, but it's something I regularly watch.
I was at DIY co2 for years. The problem comes from regulating it. When you have a temperature spike, you have a massive increase in co2. Unless you are watching it like a hawk, you will gas you fish. The only reason I changed over to pressure is because I keg my own beer and have more then 1 tank. If you are diffusing into limewood it is very hard to overdo the co2, not impossible but hard. But you will gas your tank at least once. If it has not happened it will happen. If anyone tells you it is not going to happen or you say to yourself it can not happen, then you are being lied to or lying to yourself.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode