taking apart a tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-06-2014, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
taking apart a tank

Hello....I have been into this hobby for around 2 months now....I have 3 tanks, all on the smaller side - one 15G with pearl gouramis, a 7.5G betta tank and a under-the-making 3.7G shrimp tank. All these three tanks are low tech non co2 tanks. I have been dosing excel as well as macros and micros in my 15G tank. The other two tanks are without excel and ferts. All the three tanks have ada amazonia substrate.

Now the dilemma. As my largest tank, the 15G is pretty much on the smaller side, my stocking options are highly limited. I can't keep cichlids or discus or for the matter any "large" sized fish
So I have decided to upgrade to a larger tank - a 90G.

I don't want to increase the number of my tanks by one....I was thinking of dismantling my 15G tank and shifting the substrate and the plants to the 90G tank....I know a 90G tank would require much more aquasoil than whats in a 15G tank...but I will use gravel/rocks in the rest of the tnk as substrate. That is, my 90G tank wont be completely planted....

I hope what I have posted so far makes sense....has anyone tried anything like this before....any ideas. ..or any pointers I need to keep in mind while I take up this project ??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-06-2014, 07:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Lots of upside to doing the move with some things to work out along the way. What you want the large tank to become is one biggie. Do you want it fully planted or just some plants as an "upgrade"? Either will work but require a bit of different action. I worked into planted from the larger tanks kind of by accident and did not really find any large problems. Large tanks are so much more stable and easy to deal with than small. You may want to develop easier ways to change water. Larger/more filters if you have larger fish but that depends on the fish not the gallons of water involved. If you kept the same fish that you have in a 15 in a 90, things are obviously much easier with the extra dilution of pollution. A bigger heater is obvious but then you may also find you can get away with no heater for a day or so in a large tank before it cools too much. Just lots of small things. Put some plants in the dirt you have and pots and see how it goes?
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-07-2014, 03:03 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well....eventually I would want to keep cichlids or discus...do I want to make it a fully planted tank ? Not quite...I would like to plant say 3/4th of the tank and the rest will have gravel ....actually I want to emulate a river bank look....where there is gravel followed by soil and plants.....
The most challenging aspect of this project for me is the transition of plants and substrate from one tank to the other.

Last edited by redant; 06-07-2014 at 03:04 AM. Reason: typographical error

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014, 02:20 AM
Algae Grower

This is totally do-able but will be a bit of a pain in the butt, especially if you want to use the 15g's substrate in the 90. It's really just a matter of figuring out what you want out of the 90, purchasing everything (tank, stand, heater, decor, substrate, light, etc), and then blocking off a day to dismantle the 15g tank and put together the 90. I recently did this moving from a 20g to a 40g and it was annoying but not incredibly difficult. Fish went in a pot, plants went in shallow baking dishes covered with plastic wrap, filter media went in a bowl of water... though maybe check with the person who owns all your dishes if you go this route. If you're itching for a bigger tank and are going to upgrade some day anyway and are sure you can deal with it why not just do it now? Good luck!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode