Cool water tank? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-06-2014, 04:11 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Cool water tank?

Hi:

MY housemate now wants a planted tank for her betta, after looking at my tank.

I hate her tank. It is a cheap 0.5 gallon Petco betta tank. The poor little thing.

She says her betta does not need a heater and I believe her, but I told her that the plants need heaters. I tested her water temperature and it is loooow.

(Mine is a balmy 79-80).

Anyway, I am thinking of starting hers off right (not like mine). First off, on the wisdom of someone else, I may get a 5 gallon jar for the poor thing. Also, my Petco has jars on clearance for 10 bucks. Then she would need a filter and a heater I believe. Right now her betta has an under gravel heater, which I do not believe would work for a soil planted tank right?

Additionally, ack, cycling? She simply cleans the tank by dumping out all the water every week, cleaning all the gravel, cleaning the walls of the tank, and then putting in new water, the gravel, etc. and the little fish. I understand Bettas are very hardy.

So I guess she needs no cycling. ??

I am just wondering if there are any plants that can survive a cool water tank so that she does not need a heater? I feel sorry for the poor little thing.

I threw in some frogbit tonight just for fun and the betta was playing with it for quite a while. Usually it just sits in the corner.

Thanks.

dbw
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-06-2014, 04:13 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (44/100%)
how cool was the water in her tank? 80 degrees is too warm for most planted tanks
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-06-2014, 04:14 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

yea get a heater for the poor thing.

''To screw up a 180g does not take much, to fix up a screwed up 180g is an effort beyond most mortals.''
first planted tank 180g

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(I'm 13
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-06-2014, 04:43 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Most of the mosses grow well at cool temps, most floaters don't mind, vals, sag, crypts. I've grown pretty much any plant I have at room temp, which in my house is between 68 - 71. But everything I've heard is that bettas do better with a heater too. I have my crowntail in a 4G vase, which due to me over-lighting (is that a word?) turned into an algae farm. I'm setting up a 4G Fluval View for him that I picked up on clearance for $25.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-06-2014, 04:47 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

You got a 4G Fluval View on clearance for $25??? Where? I want one!

My tank is set at 79. My frogs like it a little warm. They are from Africa you know. It is within the range for all of my fish.

:-)

Thanks cjstl. I did not know all of those plants were fine at room temperature. So I suppose the frogbit I threw in there for fun should be okay.

I got one of those stick on thermometers which showed her temperature at below 65 degrees.

dbw
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-06-2014, 04:59 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbw27 View Post
You got a 4G Fluval View on clearance for $25??? Where? I want one!

dbw

I actually bought two Fluval Views for $25 each ;-)

I was looking at Specs on Amazon the other day, and they popped up in the "What do other people buy" section. There were two left at that price with Prime shipping, so I bought them both!

Current price is $51.51, so I guess I caught a lucky break!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-06-2014, 05:04 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Oh my gosh. You so did!

You know Aqua World has the Fluval on sale for 39.99 but I think that is like a 3 gallon.

dbw
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-06-2014, 02:42 PM
Algae Grower

Bettas are tropical fish, so they do much better in warmer water and do need a heater. The problem is that .5 gal is too small to heat reliably. Once the betta is in a bigger tank, though, it should have a heater so that the temperature is in the mid-upper 70s. I'm not sure if her thermometer is correct, though, because why is her home's ambient temperature so cold? The water shouldn't be that far below room temperature, even without a heater?

Bettas also need a cycled tank, like any fish. They don't produce a lot of waste and have a sort of lung to breath from the air at the surface of the tank, so they *can* survive for some time in a tiny tank, but it's not healthy for them. They can get ammonia burns on their gills and fins. In such a tiny tank, there's also the issue of the betta not having enough room to exercise.

Five gallons is a good size, because then you can heat and filter it pretty well. For cleaning, she can just do smaller water changes with a siphon. She should get two buckets for the siphoning -- one to dump in the waste water, and one to store the new water in so it can age for a day or so (and if she's got chlorinated water, she should still use a dechlorinator, even if she ages the water). There's no way that she could keep up with the dump-everything-out approach if she wants to keep any plants, anyway.

When I had a betta in a 5 gallon (lightly planted) vase, I usually changed about 1 gallon per day. It only took about five minutes, and I noticed a difference in the fish whenever I tried to skip the WC. That was with a HOB filter, albeit the vase was slightly underfiltered because I was trying to limit the amount of water current the betta would have to deal with.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-06-2014, 04:56 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I don't keep Betta's as seeing them in those dirty little jars at the LFS always turns me off. However I have read about them and the people who take keeping them seriously give them all the same good care you would give any of your other fish. Danios is spot on with what he's saying with the only exception being that 20g tanks are the recommended minimum especially if looking for a breeding pair.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode