O2 At Night in Planted Tank? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-06-2014, 03:10 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
O2 At Night in Planted Tank?

I just installed my new Green Leaf Aquariums V3 Regulator on my new planted tank. I noticed that my Cardinal and my Rummy Nose don't seem happy. I don't think I gassed them, but maybe I am wrong. The other fish seem fine. Regardless, I was wondering if I should run an air pump at night. I got worried and stuck the hose in there tonight because I did not want to lose my little friends and I have noticed in the past that the fish seem to rejuvenate with a little added O2 after stress. What do you think? BTW my PH is 6.3 and KH is somewhere between 1 and 2, so the CO2 seems to be in the right spot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-06-2014, 03:14 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Down_Shift
Quote:
Originally Posted by pezrock View Post
I just installed my new Green Leaf Aquariums V3 Regulator on my new planted tank. I noticed that my Cardinal and my Rummy Nose don't seem happy. I don't think I gassed them, but maybe I am wrong. The other fish seem fine. Regardless, I was wondering if I should run an air pump at night. I got worried and stuck the hose in there tonight because I did not want to lose my little friends and I have noticed in the past that the fish seem to rejuvenate with a little added O2 after stress. What do you think? BTW my PH is 6.3 and KH is somewhere between 1 and 2, so the CO2 seems to be in the right spot.

1) what's the ph during the night after the co2 is gassed out? I'd be curious how big of a difference in ph swing.

2) I run a wave maker aimed up during off hours to help break the surface
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-06-2014, 03:18 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

im hoping my wet dry filter will provide enough o2 at night but I mite have to add an air pump.

''To screw up a 180g does not take much, to fix up a screwed up 180g is an effort beyond most mortals.''
first planted tank 180g

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(I'm 13
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-06-2014, 05:38 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

There is a PH Monitor set at 6.3.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-06-2014, 06:43 AM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
I was in the same boat when I used to run air pumps at night in most of my tanks. I got tired of calcium deposits and splash spots on my lights and started reading up on the subject.

Long story short, I no longer use air pumps BUT I make sure that all my tanks (co2 or not) have pretty good surface agitation 24 x 7. High dissolved co2 and o2 are not exclusive.

Several problems solved: no gassed fish, no extra equipment, higher co2, pearling plants.

v3

Courtesy * Integrity * Perseverance * Indominable Spirit * and Self Control
Tenets of TKD
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-06-2014, 05:06 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

If your fish have only newly been exposed to the elevated CO2 levels then they will act a bit strangely at first, they need a bit of acclimatization to it. I've also noticed significantly different levels of activity between high & low CO2 times, the fish slow and almost stop their movement when the CO2 is high. I run air stones starting as soon as the lights turn off right through until they turn on again. All the air stones do is provide good surface agitation and improve the tank circulation so if you can get good surface agitation in another way and avoid OVT's complaint of the calcium then go for it. I have a lidded tank so calcium isn't much of a concern but what I do want to do is flush the CO2 out from under the lid.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014, 05:00 AM
Algae Grower

You should measure your ph in the morning before CO2 is running and just before you're turning the CO2 off. It will give you an idea of how much your ph is changing in a day as some fish can be sensitive to ph changes. Then be mindful that when lights are off plants are releasing CO2 into the tank as well as the fish and O2 may run low at night as both plants and fish are using O2.

Behike

Using Tapatalk

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode