New tank! What should I put in it??? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-05-2014, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
New tank! What should I put in it???

So I took advantage of Petsmart's 15% off sale and bought myself a 25 gallon (tall) tank. Im not sure exactly what I want to do with it yet but I know I want freshwater, likely tropical, with one or two "centerpiece" fish and if there is room maybe a few tetras or other small schooling fish.

My favorite two choices right now are either a pair of angels or a pair of rams or other small cichlids. I've never had cichlids before and I've heard they can be quite the experience. I have had "beginner" fish since I was a little kid (goldfish, guppies, tetras, etc) and I think I'm ready to step up to more advanced fish.

25 gallons seems like it would be a tad crampt for adult angels though, so I'm leaning more towards the rams.

What do you all think? I'm open to suggestions for fish as well as plants or anything else.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-05-2014, 11:40 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

for theme I think a mix of an African lake and an amazon river sort of thing. the angels would get to big I think for this tank so go with the rams. just make sure it wont hurt the tetras.

good luck!

oh yea and WELCOME TO TPT!!!

''To screw up a 180g does not take much, to fix up a screwed up 180g is an effort beyond most mortals.''
first planted tank 180g

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(I'm 13
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)

Last edited by Darkblade48; 06-06-2014 at 01:31 AM. Reason: Back to back posts
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-06-2014, 04:16 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
First of all, welcome to the planted tank. There are a lot of very knowledgeable people here, so you came to the right place.

Secondly, visit as many LFS as you can and see what you like and don't like. My favorite color is purple but you might like red. Take your time and do your research.

I only have one rule regarding fish purchases. No impulse buys. I know what kind of fish that I want to buy before I go to the store. If I see a fish that I like and don't know its tendencies I go home and do some research. Then if I still think it's a good fit for my community of fish and will make a good addition I'll go back and buy them.

Good luck and have fun.

My tank journal:

This is not the end, it is not even the beginning of the end, but it is the end of the beginning. Winston Churchill

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-06-2014, 04:20 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

you can get some ideas from other tanks on here. just click ''my tanks'' at the top and select your size range.

''To screw up a 180g does not take much, to fix up a screwed up 180g is an effort beyond most mortals.''
first planted tank 180g

(I'm 13
)
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-06-2014, 05:17 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Generally if you want to go with cichlids then pretty much stick with them and do some research on which kinds will go with what. They tend to be a much more agressive fish than most tropicals. Yes they are interesting, I kept and bred them for years, and can be very entertaining and fun to breed. Angel fish are also from the cichlid family. Some of them can get really big but some stay small. Most like to rearrange their tanks moving the small rocks and substrate to make nests. This can be hard on your plants unless you take some precautions to protect them and keep them rooted where you want them. They are also territorial but the extent of it also depends on the type of cichlid. They tend to like rock caves and overhangs which they make their own and drive off any other males.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014, 12:37 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Maybe try some shell dweller cichlids if you want to go with cichlids. Maybe apistogramma pair

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014, 12:48 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Checkerboard Cichlids are among the more peaceful.

If you want Rams, Bolivian Rams are a bit easier to keep, and a school of small Tetras and a couple of Otos would work well with them.

You could look into the 'other' tetra relatives like Pencil Fish.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode