a fixed budget - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
a fixed budget

If you had to rank the aspects of planted tank, (light/substrate/filter/ect) in order of importance how would you do it? The actual budget isnt important but divide as a percentage of 100. lighting= 45% ect....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 07:48 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
I can't really help with the percentages, but my first reaction when I read "A fixed budget" was "is made to be broken".

My 75 gallon 'journal':

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 07:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (15/86%)
Lighting 30-50 percent
Substrate 10-30 percent
Plants 10 percent
filter 20 percent
co2-0-30 percent

that is my guess

This user has been suspended indefinitely due to the abuse of the Swap and Shop forum.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 08:20 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (40/98%)
It's difficult to compare all of those things. When it comes to co2/light/nutrients, it's 33%/33%/33%...they all have to be in balance. How you fulfill those requirements is up to you. With a low light/low tech setup, the style of filter(cannister or HOB) becomes less important but the amount of filtration(volume filtered, or flow) becomes more important.

If you can't afford everything all at once, here are some recommendations:

Substrate: Substrate is difficult to change once a tank is up and running....difficult, but not impossible, just requires a day of work and a few buckets. I've done it. For this reason, many people suggest upgrading substrate first, but if you don't mind a little extra work, it's less important. Choosing a substrate is up to you. In a high tech tank, you can go with an inert, but you'll need to add root tabs. This can be a cheaper option, but you may also decide to go with something like eco complete or aquasoil. The choice is yours and, like I said, these can be added any time.

Filter:If you are wanting to go high tech, a good cannister filter is very important to avoid off gassing of co2 due to an HOB filter...however, I know plenty of people that run a medium light tank with DIY CO2 that use an HOB.

CO2: This is the thing I would add first as long as I already had a cannister filter. Adding co2 without adding lighting or nutrients won't cause an algae bloom, so, no worries. It may waste a little money(unused co2) but not enough to worry.

You can run co2 with an HOB and add a cannister later, but before going high tech, you should have co2 and a cannister filter. Which one you do first is up to you.

Light: After you add co2 you can add light. 4 wpg, 2 wpg, whatever, as long as you have the ability to add enough co2, you're golden.

Nutrients:If you have co2 and light, the only problem you'll encounter is stunted growth. This will be corrected with the addition of nutrients. These can come last.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 08:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I would disagree I would want nutrients before co2. That is a personal thing though. And I think he meant in price, not importance.

This user has been suspended indefinitely due to the abuse of the Swap and Shop forum.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 08:59 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishsandwitch View Post
And I think he meant in price, not importance.
Quote:
If you had to rank the aspects of planted tank, (light/substrate/filter/ect) in order of importance how would you do it? The actual budget isnt important but divide as a percentage of 100. lighting= 45% ect....
Quote:
I would disagree I would want nutrients before co2. That is a personal thing though.
I think co2 first, because without co2 it's very easy to overdose on nutrients and cause an algae outbreak. To be fair, I make the assumption we are talking about going high tech. In a low tech tank, you probably don't need to add co2 or lights, so you can jump right into adding nutrients weekly or, more likely, biweekly.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 09:25 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
The actual cost breakdown for my current 90gal project is in my Journal in the photo album. Without actually doing the math, I'd say it went something like this: 20% lighting, 20% substrate, 30% tank and stand, 15% filtration, 15% everything else (misc supplies, plants, and livestock)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 09:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (90/100%)
Send a message via AIM to A Hill
I think you would first have to choose what type of tank you're going for.

Then it becomes a bit easier, but nothing is ever in concrete.

Buut..

Tank first,

Then filtration and lighting

Substrate

Plants, since you can wait and whatnot

fauna, since if needed you can sell and trade plants and stuff for this if the budget runs dry.

Just a heads up, this hobby doesn't work with a budget that well

-Andrew
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 09:34 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
I think the OP is asking for how much importance is placed on each of the aforementioned aspects expressed as a percentage, not how much of the budget they "ate."

I think that I'll have to say this about the question: it depends on what you're trying to accomplish with the tank, what your personal goals and aspirations are, how much maintenance you're willing to do...
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 09:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmhart View Post
I think co2 first, because without co2 it's very easy to overdose on nutrients and cause an algae outbreak. To be fair, I make the assumption we are talking about going high tech. In a low tech tank, you probably don't need to add co2 or lights, so you can jump right into adding nutrients weekly or, more likely, biweekly.

I agree with that, on high tech co2 is more important. I was thinking low tech.

And I misremembered/read th OP. You are right again.

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
thanks guys for your ideas. you answered my question and now that i know the general percentages i have to pick my budget..or rather my wife does.
i just bought my tank (110 Gallon) for 150 so the journal will begin soon!!!!
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 04:24 PM
Wannabe Guru

While it is an expensive hobby(there's no getting around it) there are ways to cut costs. Some ways:

Shop used. I get most of my stuff off craigslist. I already had a non-planted 30g up and running, so I had good bit of equipment. As I've gone planted/high tech I have replaced nearly all of my equipment, and most of it on the cheap. Because I already had a tank running, I was able to take my time and wait for the good buys to pop up on the used market, some examples:
-Used Eheim 2026 Pro II on ebay, including shipping I saved $150 off the price of a new one.
-Used Magnum 350 for water polishing, saved $50 off the price of a new one
-Used Flourite as substrate
-Used Regulator,Cylinder, Solenoid, etc... for CO2(this ended up costing me only $35 for the whole kit because I bought it as a package with a tank, and then ended up selling everything that I didn't need.)
Another way to cut down costs is to do it yourself:
-Until I could find a cheap/used co2 setup, I did DIY CO2
-I built my own stand, hood, and high-light lighting system, on the stand/hood I saved $100 by building it myself, and saved $150 with the DIY lighting.
Know what to spend your money on, make the right decision the first time by doing your research and knowing what you want;
-For my substrate, I used a 50/50 mix of Flourite and Soilmaster Select, since I bought the Flouite used and because the SMS was only $10/ 50# bag, my substrate was very cheap. For my two tanks, this is the kind of substrate I want. However, I'm sure the day will come when I'll use Aquasoil
And finally, shop for good deals on new equipment, know the places to go. I suggest looking at all of these website whenever you are buying equipment:
- For those large items where shipping would kill you, call around locally, let your fingers do the walking and get people to give you their best price. I was able to talk a 45g tank down from $129.99 to $99.99 simply by calling around. Had I not called around, I would have assumed Petsmart or Petco had the best price, but indeed they did not(or at least wouldn't).
- www.drsfostersmith.com Sometimes their prices *may* be $1 or $2 higher, but their shipping is almost always cheaper than the other places(unless the other places are having a no shipping sale).
- www.bigalsonline.com
- www.petsmart.com They run free shipping sales frequently, and on top of that generally their retail stores will price match the website(call ahead to be sure)
-And finally, I always suggest www.froogle.com
Using all of these everytime you make a purchase will help you cut down. I can't say that any one site is the best, I just look at them all and go with whoever has the cheapest price(including shipping) for that particular order I'm making at that moment.

I hope these give you some ideas.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 04:30 PM
Banned

PTrader: (24/100%)
Tank (and stand)
Filtration
substrate
Lighting ( low mid high?)
CO2/ferts (if mid - high )

% who knows.
Thoughts
I always buy the best possible tank and stand I can get, after all this is what you are housing your project in and then the best filtration.

After that there are so many options as to what you are going to do from low light to high light.

It really depends on what you want to do and what you are shooting for.

Ehfipimp #273 ( Eheim Classic: 2260, 2217, Eheim Ecco: 2236, 2232 ) Fluval FX5

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 04:40 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fshfanatic View Post
I always buy the best possible tank and stand I can get, after all this is what you are housing your project in and then the best filtration.
I agree 100% here...a really bad stand (or nasty tank) can make a beautiful aquascape look really unattractive.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode