Need HELP! Unexpected unided tiny fry! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 03:52 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (15/86%)
Need HELP! Unexpected unided tiny fry!

Hello,
I think I received eggs on some java moss I got like a week ago, now I see some tiny fry! They are in a mature shrimp only tank, so they are safe from predators and should have some microorganisms to eat, but how can I culture food for them? They are like 1/10th the size of livebearer fry, and I dont know what to feed! They look to small for even BBS! Can I get the smallest golden pearls? What else is a good fry food?

This user has been suspended indefinitely due to the abuse of the Swap and Shop forum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 03:59 AM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
it's too late to culture protozoans for them.. it takes about 2 weeks to get a culture going... They should be big enough to eat BBS in a week. So start hatching those BBS. There are a few fry food on the market too.

and please, don't tempt rep points for advice. People here will give advice for the heck of it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 04:03 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (15/86%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
it's too late to culture protozoans for them.. it takes about 2 weeks to get a culture going... They should be big enough to eat BBS in a week. So start hatching those BBS. There are a few fry food on the market too.

and please, don't tempt rep points for advice. People here will give advice for the heck of it.
K I wont I edited my post

This user has been suspended indefinitely due to the abuse of the Swap and Shop forum.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 04:11 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
If you use some tank mulm to jump-start a green water culture and have a nice sunny spot for the jar you can have a culture going in a few days. I'd go for it, personally?

You can also crush up flakes very fine, and mix them with a little water to make a paste. Then use an eyedropper or a syringe to squirt just a very tiny bit near the fry.

The shrimp should do a good job of cleaning up any leftovers, so I'd just be careful with your PWC to make sure you don't suck up any fry...

GL and keep us posted- always nice to have little surprises like this!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 06:37 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Did the person you recieve it from have White Clouds?

"You think you have tomorrow, but when tomorrow comes it's not tomorrow; it's now- and that's all you have" - Marc Johnson
Ehei-Pimpfen 276 yo!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 11:15 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...odl&1210511536

its an auction for ready to feed microworms. i bought from the guy before when i spawned bettas. it arrived in 2 days and i had microworms climbing up the sides in 24 hours. auction closes soon so if you dont make it the sellers name is "sonic".

other fast options include:
-crushed egg yolk (just boil an egg, and smash the yolk into a paste) FEED SPARINGLY, IT POLLUTES A LOT
-hikari first bites
-atisons betta starter (you will probably need to order it online)
-algae (come on, i know you have it somewhere; scrape it off and collect the greenish water. its not greenwater as the true creature, but its very similar).
-blanched veggies or algae wafers (anything can pick food off of them, but your shrimp may beat the fry to it).

My Tanks:

-
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode